S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Vtec Cam Killers

Old 12-19-2005, 09:10 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fuzy24,Dec 19 2005, 12:01 PM
...I'd say that getting rid of them for a little better top end is not too bad of a trade off..
Losing the low cam buys you practically nothing. For a track car you might change the profile of the high cam and the point you engage it, but having a car that still idles and drives in the pits is the advantage to VTEC.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cdelena,Dec 19 2005, 10:10 AM
Losing the low cam buys you practically nothing. For a track car you might change the profile of the high cam and the point you engage it, but having a car that still idles and drives in the pits is the advantage to VTEC.
So youre saying you'd keep vtec on a track only car so its eaiser to drive around the pits?? Don't you think it would be more of a advantage to lose some weight on the top end and make things more simple up there, and get the bonus of freeing up some HP.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by JDMwhore,Dec 19 2005, 03:48 PM
So youre saying you'd keep vtec on a track only car so its eaiser to drive around the pits?? Don't you think it would be more of a advantage to lose some weight on the top end and make things more simple up there, and get the bonus of freeing up some HP.
No one's worried about making "things more simple up there." It's not necessary. You'd probably complicate things by trying to take VTEC off. The car would be seriously undrivable on the big lobes at low engine speeds, and you'd gain like 2 hp up top.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=JDMwhore,Dec 19 2005, 03:48 PM] So youre saying you'd keep vtec on a track only car so its eaiser to drive around the pits??
Old 12-19-2005, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by nodisguise,Dec 19 2005, 04:43 PM
You'd probably complicate things by trying to take VTEC off. The car would be seriously undrivable on the big lobes at low engine speeds, and you'd gain like 2 hp up top.
You don't know what you are talking about. How is removing 8 cam lobes and rockers complicating things? Obvioulsy the person that would spend the money on these already has the rest of the motor built to go along with this setup, as well as a stand alone. These cams have been out for b16's for like 8-10yrs, this isnt new technology
Old 12-19-2005, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Dec 19 2005, 04:49 PM
Just curious, JDM, how many track miles did you have on your S2000 in 2005? I had about 2500.
Im proud of you mike. Due to work I didnt make it on the track in 05, however I do have roughly that many miles in prior years. I dont see what track milage has to do with a discussion on Vtec Killer cams though. Do you have a track dedicated car, that runs 0 miles on public streets? Look ive been working on HP honda engines for 12+ years. You guys act like these cams are new to the market and untested. Toda has been producing these for quite a while for every other Vtec engine.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMwhore,Dec 19 2005, 05:15 PM
Toda has been producing these for quite a while for every other Vtec engine.
There's a whole lot of "tuner" parts out there. At the track you can usually tell who has them because their cars are either slow or sitting in the paddock being furiously worked on.

But no skin off my back, I guess. It's your car, do with it what you like.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Dec 19 2005, 05:26 PM
There's a whole lot of "tuner" parts out there. At the track you can usually tell who has them because their cars are either slow or sitting in the paddock being furiously worked on.

But no skin off my back, I guess. It's your car, do with it what you like.
You're from the PAC NW, AJ has a shitload of "tuner" parts on their cars and it seems pretty fast to me. It's sad that people lump the Toda and Mugens in with the APR's of the "tuner" industry......
Old 12-19-2005, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Dec 19 2005, 04:49 PM
Just curious, JDM, how many track miles did you have on your S2000 in 2005? I had about 2500.
How about in 2002-2004?

I am still waiting for that track report on the Stoptechs from years ago.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Dec 19 2005, 07:49 PM
Just for the record, I've seen some of your previous posts, and you're generally right on the money... but on this issue I'm gonna have to disagree with you.

The VTEC Killer cams are a race-only design. You said you had 2500 track miles in 2005. How many of those miles were spent below 6000 RPMs? Disregarding warm-up and cool-down laps and yellow-flag situations, if you say more than 0, then you were doing something wrong.

If you're never below 6000 RPMs, then you're never using the low-cam profile. If you're never using it, why keep those extra lobes on there adding extra rotational mass, and extra stress on the camshaft itself. Additionally, why keep the extra parts on the head that are increasing friction and resistance? On a pure-race car, there is no reason for any of that stuff.

Technically, if you build a race engine that spins to 11K RPM, you could theoretically get custom VTEC cams that are designed with the "low" lobe optimized for 5-8K RPMs and the "high" lobe optimized for 8-11K... but I suspect that if you're turning 11K RPMs, you're definitely not going to want that extra mass rotating around your camshaft.

Now... all of this is in relationship to a pure race-bred, track-only car. If you still need some street-ability for your engine, then VTEC Killer cams would not be an option, because I doubt they will even idle below 2 or 3K RPMs.

If you still think that VTEC Killer cams are detrimental to a race engine's performance, please explain your logic behind it, rather that quoting how many track miles you have this year. Anybody can drive on the track... but not everybody can build a high-performance motor.

Quick Reply: Vtec Cam Killers