S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

VSA won't turn off.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default VSA won't turn off.

Hey guys,

Just bought a MY06 and starting first thread/post after joining s2ki and conducting an extensive search of the site regarding this issue.

I can't turn off the VSA and there's no lights on the dash. I took it to a dealership to have it looked at and they pulled the two following DTC codes with info from ISIS, I suppose:
86 - Description: F-CAN communication,
Symptom: MIL is off, VSA indicator is on (which it isn't), or VSA activation indicator is on (which it isn't).
Probable Cause: Poor or no +B-FSR voltage, Poor or no Ignition 1 voltage, Poor or no VSA ground, or Open or poor connection on F-CAN-H or F-CAN-L wires.

And

27 - Description: Steering angle sensor
Symptom: MIL is off, VSA indicator is on (which it isn't), or VSA activation indicator is on (which it isn't).
Probable Cause: Open or poor connection on STRA, STRB, or STRD (STRZ) signal wire, Short to ground on STRA, STRB, or STRD (STRZ) signal wire, Open on S-GND wire, or Bad steering angle sensor.

They would clear the codes, but they would come right back. I had them stop there, as they said they would start racking up the labor fees if I were to have them continue the troubleshooting. They gave me their troubleshooting trees for both codes. I can send them to you if you think you can help me out with them.

What does MIL and +B FSR mean/stand for?
Would I be able to handle this myself?
I think I've read on other posts about how I'd need Honda's computer to calibrate the steering angle sensor if I were to replace it. Other than that, if I were to do this myself, along with a shop manual, would I run into issues I couldn't handle myself and would I need an electrical troubleshooting manual?

I'm not too familiar with the whole VSA thing so I don't know how easy it is to get it to kick in and do something,but I've done a WOT drop in it and didn't notice any lights indicating that it was doing anything. The rearend did start stepping out a little as I would have expected it to.

I did buy the vehicle with a salvage title. I saw photos of the damage and it was in the right rear, nothing very major at all. I don't think it would be something that would affect the system.

Thanks in advance for any input/suggestions you may have.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:24 PM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

MIL = CEL. Stands for Malfunction Indicator Lamp, which is actually a more accurate name for this dash light.

Your issue sounds like VSA won't turn ON, not that it won't turn off. Default is on, you have to press and hold the VSA button to turn it off. It sounds one or more issues is preventing your VSA from operating, so its always off.

Are your dash lights even working? When you just turn on the key, dash lights should light to show they aren't burnt out. Do they really light up then?

I think you actually have more than one issue, but I have no advice to how to troubleshoot other than don't let the dealer do it, which you aready know.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:22 PM

Received 1,397 Likes on 837 Posts

Just had this, the guys bulb was partially bad.

I could knock on the dash and get the triangle light to flicker.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
MIL = CEL. Stands for Malfunction Indicator Lamp, which is actually a more accurate name for this dash light.

Your issue sounds like VSA won't turn ON, not that it won't turn off. Default is on, you have to press and hold the VSA button to turn it off. It sounds one or more issues is preventing your VSA from operating, so its always off.

Are your dash lights even working? When you just turn on the key, dash lights should light to show they aren't burnt out. Do they really light up then?

I think you actually have more than one issue, but I have no advice to how to troubleshoot other than don't let the dealer do it, which you aready know.
Thanks much. I drove it pretty hard today and it's letting me do what I want with it. Still no lights. I took a pic of the dash when I turn the key on, but I can't figure out how to attach it to the post for you to see. Thanks for the responses.
Old 04-13-2022, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey I’m have the same issue. I’ve taken it to a mechanic to troubleshoot the VSA but they told me its engaged; however I cant DISENGAGE it so when I take it to autocross or drift events it activates the VSA.

i tried pressing and holding the button to turn it off but it doesnt work.

any idea what could be wrong? Electrical? Faulty relay or fuse? Maybe ground?

Originally Posted by WIZZO
Hey guys,

Just bought a MY06 and starting first thread/post after joining s2ki and conducting an extensive search of the site regarding this issue.

I can't turn off the VSA and there's no lights on the dash. I took it to a dealership to have it looked at and they pulled the two following DTC codes with info from ISIS, I suppose:
86 - Description: F-CAN communication,
Probable Cause: Poor or no +B-FSR voltage, Poor or no Ignition 1 voltage, Poor or no VSA ground, or Open or poor connection on F-CAN-H or F-CAN-L wires.

And

27 - Description: Steering angle sensor
Probable Cause: Open or poor connection on STRA, STRB, or STRD (STRZ) signal wire, Short to ground on STRA, STRB, or STRD (STRZ) signal wire, Open on S-GND wire, or Bad steering angle sensor.

They would clear the codes, but they would come right back. I had them stop there, as they said they would start racking up the labor fees if I were to have them continue the troubleshooting. They gave me their troubleshooting trees for both codes. I can send them to you if you think you can help me out with them.

What does MIL and +B FSR mean/stand for?
Would I be able to handle this myself?
I think I've read on other posts about how I'd need Honda's computer to calibrate the steering angle sensor if I were to replace it. Other than that, if I were to do this myself, along with a shop manual, would I run into issues I couldn't handle myself and would I need an electrical troubleshooting manual?

I'm not too familiar with the whole VSA thing so I don't know how easy it is to get it to kick in and do something,but I've done a WOT drop in it and didn't notice any lights indicating that it was doing anything. The rearend did start stepping out a little as I would have expected it to.

I did buy the vehicle with a salvage title. I saw photos of the damage and it was in the right rear, nothing very major at all. I don't think it would be something that would affect the system.

Thanks in advance for any input/suggestions you may have.
Old 04-13-2022, 05:06 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,233 Likes on 1,077 Posts

According to the wiring diagram the VSA Off Switch (p 36-2) is a simple momentary SPST on/off switch normally off. The switch has to be On to turn VSA Off and the warning VSA triangle indicator comes on as a reminder VSA is Off. According to the Owner's Manual the switch has to be activated (i.e. VSA disabled) after you start the engine as starting the engine turns VSA On but I just confirmed on my '06 it's the ignition switch that has to be On the engine can be off and VSA will remain deactivated until you turn the ignition Off... The VSA triangle light on dash indicates VSA is Off and will also momentarily illuminate when the ignition is first turned On like all the other indicators to confirm the bulb and circuit are good.

Do you see any sign of the VSA Off indicator?

Switch is easy to check, it's just On/Off (momentary).

-- Chuck

Last edited by Chuck S; 04-13-2022 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-14-2022, 05:35 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

In tbe Bulan case the issue was the light bulb in the dash. It sounds like op might have been the same thing.

The system might be operating just fine, you just can't tell simce bulb is burned out.

This is why dash bulbs all light up briefly when you turn on key so you can verify if a bulb is out.

Do you see vsa light come on briefly when you turn on key? If not, bulb is burned out.
Old 04-14-2022, 06:14 AM
Member (Premium)

There are several fuses that influence this and you need power to deactivate VSA and illuminate the indicator(s).

Rather than me reading the manual and telling you what's in it grab the Wiring Diagram and start looking for fuses in the VSA section which starts on page 36. Fuse #6, for example shows in the upper left corner of page 36. Good place to start. Fuse 5 shows in the diagram on page 36-2. There may be more.

-- Chuck
Old 04-15-2022, 06:06 AM

Received 115 Likes on 74 Posts

Does the VSA triangle light up when you first turn your key, its only lit for a second or so but that determine if the bulb is burned out?
Old 04-15-2022, 06:17 AM
Member (Premium)

@s2k_jaz You still here? I don't see that you've read any of these responses to your issue. We can't help is you don't answer our questions... "Forum Push" should have notified you of our notes as we sent them.

-- Chuck