S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

"VSA", VSA Warning light, and "BRAKE" lights on...

Old 07-07-2011, 08:31 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default "VSA", VSA Warning light, and "BRAKE" lights on...

Hi everyone,

I will start off giving the details of the car:
- 2006 model year
- Tein Monoflex Suspension
- Centric Premium rotors
- Carbotech XP10/XP8 pads
- Bridgestone RE-11 tires
- ATE Superblue brake fluid
- VSA disabled when at track

I went to a lapping day the other night, and was pretty hard on the brakes (abs'd a couple times per lap in certain corners). Right after leaving the track, I made a very light stop at an intersection. As soon as I came to a complete stop, I noticed the "BRAKE" light on the dash came on, as well as two other yellow indicator lights ("VSA" and the exclamation mark that comes on when VSA is disabled). The lights stayed on until I parked, turned the ignition off, and restarted the car. After heading back on the road, the lights came on again after braking for traffic while on the highway. We stopped again for some food, and the lights again disappeared once I started the car... However, they came back on. Now, this has been happening during my 1st or 2nd brake application after the car has been started. Does anyone have any clue what this might be? I did some lapping at a different track a few weeks ago, which was even harder on the brakes, and never had this problem. Help would be greatly appreciated on this one! P.s. I do all of the work on the car myself, so I'd prefer to a DIY method for fixing this. I also attached a photo of the dash so you guys can see which indicator lights I'm talking about. Thanks in advance!

[attachment=5327:IMG-20110707-00261.jpg]

[attachment=5328:IMG-20110707-00262.jpg]
Attached Thumbnails "VSA", VSA Warning light, and "BRAKE" lights on...-img-20110707-00261.jpg   "VSA", VSA Warning light, and "BRAKE" lights on...-img-20110707-00262.jpg  
Old 07-07-2011, 10:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Check for a sticky brake switch; the one on the hand/parking brake.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brake fluid level!
Old 07-08-2011, 06:14 AM

Thanks for the reply guys!

Originally Posted by 99SH
Check for a sticky brake switch; the one on the hand/parking brake.
I was thinking the same thing... Maybe something happened to it from the vibration while attacking the curbing? I guess the center console has to be removed to get to this?

Originally Posted by jayson415P.R.
Brake fluid level!
Already checked. Fluid level is 3/4 up between the MIN and MAX lines.

I will try to check the handbrake switch, and flush/bleed the brake fluid. Any other ideas after that?
Old 07-08-2011, 06:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Service the pads and calipers. I can help you do it on the weekend. I plan on servicing the brakes on the ep3 this weekend. Most of my tools are in Markham. How many track days have you done ont he new pads?
Old 07-08-2011, 06:43 AM

I've only done 2 track days on the pads... Was planning to go my parents house up in Richmond hill this weekend to pull the pads and have a look at what's goin on. If I run out of ideas, I will hop over to markham to see if you can see anything I couldn't!
Old 07-08-2011, 09:51 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

If the CEL comes on for any reason, the VSA system is deactivated by default and turns on the yellow warning lights. I'd imagine the system deactivates by default with a brake light on as well.

Fluid level or level sensor, hand brake switch adjustment possibly....pull the console, make sure the switch is being fully turned off mechanically with the hand brake lever.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250
If the CEL comes on for any reason, the VSA system is deactivated by default and turns on the yellow warning lights. I'd imagine the system deactivates by default with a brake light on as well.

Fluid level or level sensor, hand brake switch adjustment possibly....pull the console, make sure the switch is being fully turned off mechanically with the hand brake lever.
I have been paying more attention to this problem while driving... The brake light comes on first, followed by both VSA lights approximately 5-10 seconds after. I did have a look at the parking brake switch, and this does not seem to be the problem. Haven't had a chance to pull the wheels to have a better look at pads, but they look to have a lot of meat left on them from what I can tell by looking through the spokes. Won't be able to do a full flush until next weekend
Old 08-12-2011, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 06Estukay
Hi everyone,

I will start off giving the details of the car:
- 2006 model year
- Tein Monoflex Suspension
- Centric Premium rotors
- Carbotech XP10/XP8 pads
- Bridgestone RE-11 tires
- ATE Superblue brake fluid
- VSA disabled when at track

I went to a lapping day the other night, and was pretty hard on the brakes (abs'd a couple times per lap in certain corners). Right after leaving the track, I made a very light stop at an intersection. As soon as I came to a complete stop, I noticed the "BRAKE" light on the dash came on, as well as two other yellow indicator lights ("VSA" and the exclamation mark that comes on when VSA is disabled). The lights stayed on until I parked, turned the ignition off, and restarted the car. After heading back on the road, the lights came on again after braking for traffic while on the highway. We stopped again for some food, and the lights again disappeared once I started the car... However, they came back on. Now, this has been happening during my 1st or 2nd brake application after the car has been started. Does anyone have any clue what this might be? I did some lapping at a different track a few weeks ago, which was even harder on the brakes, and never had this problem. Help would be greatly appreciated on this one! P.s. I do all of the work on the car myself, so I'd prefer to a DIY method for fixing this. I also attached a photo of the dash so you guys can see which indicator lights I'm talking about. Thanks in advance!

[attachment=5327:IMG-20110707-00261.jpg]

[attachment=5328:IMG-20110707-00262.jpg]
did anyone find a solution to this yet? i am having the same exact problem.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:54 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I think his pads were finished

Quick Reply: "VSA", VSA Warning light, and "BRAKE" lights on...