S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

VSA super sensitive after alignment? What's the problem?

Old 11-15-2011, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VSA super sensitive after alignment? What's the problem?

Hi everyone,

I just got an alignment done in preparation for an upcoming autocross. Here are the specs:

- 1.75 degrees negative camber in front
- 1.25 degrees negative camber in rear
- O front toe
- 1/16" rear toe-in
- maximum caster

Before the alignment, I never had any issues with VSA kicking in (unless I was being really aggressive with the throttle mid-corner). However, after the alignment, the VSA will make a tsk-tsk-tsk sound coming from the outside front wheel during even mild turns. I experienced this when exiting the freeway on a right-hander off ramp (the kind that turns 270 degrees). I wasn't going anywhere near as fast as I could have and was far below the limits I had experienced before the alignment was performed. Nevertheless, I still heard the tsk-tsk-tsk sound coming from the front outside wheel.

At first I thought I was rubbing the inside fender well, but upon further inspection and even more agressive turning (in a parking lot, mind you), I found not one single shred of rubbing evidence. To make sure that the problem was indeed VSA kicking in too early, I turned it off and did the exact same corner again, and heard no sound at all.

Anyway, is there a reason why the VSA kicks in so early (before I'm even close to slipping the tires) now that I have a more aggressive alignment? Is there a way to fix this issue, or change some alignment setting to alleviate the problem? I'd like to have a more aggressive alignment, but I still want to have VSA on for street driving.

I would really like to avoid having to get an aggressive alignment for every single autocross I attend (and then subsequently return it back to stock afterward) as it could get very pricey!!!

Any help would be most appreciated
Old 11-16-2011, 11:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the VSA light come on when you did it?
Old 01-17-2012, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by barrett4bama
Does the VSA light come on when you did it?
nope.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:38 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Clean your ABS/VSA sensors. Solved it for me. Takes a couple minutes per wheel, a 10 mm wrench to loosen the sensor, some brake cleaner, and a rag or paper towel. Some people need to use mild sandpaper to clean the place where it mounts.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by thomsbrain
Clean your ABS/VSA sensors. Solved it for me. Takes a couple minutes per wheel, a 10 mm wrench to loosen the sensor, some brake cleaner, and a rag or paper towel. Some people need to use mild sandpaper to clean the place where it mounts.

I can try that, but the car has only 9,000 miles and it's never been driven in the rain. It would be pretty remarkable if the ABS sensor were already fouled/dirty after so few miles...
Old 01-18-2012, 12:13 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by greatfox
I can try that, but the car has only 9,000 miles and it's never been driven in the rain. It would be pretty remarkable if the ABS sensor were already fouled/dirty after so few miles...
They may be ok then, although it is a nearly free fix and it never hurts to take a look at the brakes from time to time. I had the same symptoms all of the sudden around ~40,000 and cleaning the sensors fixed it. It was mostly just brake dust and grime.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by thomsbrain
They may be ok then, although it is a nearly free fix and it never hurts to take a look at the brakes from time to time. I had the same symptoms all of the sudden around ~40,000 and cleaning the sensors fixed it. It was mostly just brake dust and grime.
With apologies for bumping this old thread -- I thought it would be helpful for others to reply that your suggestion worked for me on my 2009 S2000 w/135k miles. I got a more aggressive alignment done and had the VSA cutting in with the tsk-tsk-tsk sound in lower speed turns, well before the tires started to lose grip. Took about 20 minutes to clean all 4 sensors and the VSA is back to normal now. Thanks for your suggestion!