S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

VSA intrusive operation

Old 02-23-2011, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VSA intrusive operation

I recently began to believe that my bearing or motor mount was going bad on my driver's side since the car began to act horribly recently when I load up the driver's side in a hard right hand turn. Granted, I don't believe the turn to be that hard since this is simply a matter of taking an on ramp or something like that at a proper rate of speed. However, I tried turning off the VSA after some bright commenter suggested I do so and voila, car is as new. It only began doing this 2 weeks ago, right after I replaced the rear tires. Nothing else has changed on the car. Is it possible that I damaged a VSA sensor removing and replacing the rear wheels for the tire job? I went from Michelin PS2 tires to some Hankook Ventus V12 Evo which had great reviews and were much cheaper than the PS2 tires. I suppose it is likely that they do have less grip however since the pilot sports are some of the best of the best imo. So, has anyone else experienced this? Is it an inferior tire or is something else at play here?
Old 02-24-2011, 10:42 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Two things about the tires:

1. All tires have a break-in period and are going to have less grip initially before they are broken in.

2. The PS2s you switched from are a far superior tire to the V12. The V12 may be a better "value" - depending on how you define value - but the PS2 is without a doubt a higher performing, grippier tire.

I seriously doubt you damaged your VSA just changing the tires. However I do think you are feeling the effects of a lower performing tire during it's break-in period.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very good points. I had thought about the Hankooks being lower performing than the Michelins but had not thought about the break in period of the tires. As you say, that is likely the culprit. I came from the Porsche world and will likely return after I have my fun with the S2000 and the PS2 is the go to street tire on many, if not all, of the 997 cars. For just driving on the street I was willing to get a tire that gripped a little less with longer tire life for a cheaper price. Thank you for your help.