S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Vortech Vs Speedcraft

Old 08-13-2002, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why don't you back off with the hype

Not sure what 'hype' you're referring too... If I sound a little too emotionally involved then I apologize. I just get tired of seeing people requesting information on certain things (in this case turbo vs. sc) and people that don't know what they're talking about chiming in. If I were the person searching for the information and took the word of someone that implied they knew what they were talking about and made a poor decision due to their misinformation... I can assure you the results wouldn't be good. All I'm trying to do is separate those who don't know what their talking about and don't have any real information to contribute from those who do have the 'goods'. C2000's original post didn't ask anyone's opinion on anything so keep your opinions to yourself or at least let C2000 know that you are not basing your statement on factual evidence. He asked which is faster and Fanman starts posting information that couldn't be more incorrect. I participate in many forums like this... mostly on the BMW side of things these days but it's not much different than here. Always have people that don't know what they're talking about who... well... appearantly just like to type or something. I'm all for everyone having their own opion... even if they are wrong but that's not what was requested. Maybe it's lack of reading comprehension ... I don't know but come on man don't give people FALSE INFORMATION. If you don't know then don't reply... that's all I'm saying.

Fanman,
Point taken... but I'm not making assumptions based on 'seat of the pants' tuning. If I speak and tell you that's the way it is... you can pretty much count on that's the way it is. There is no doubt that there's a substantial price difference between the turbo and suprecharger but there's also a huge difference in potential. There's not alot more you can do with the Comptech blower... look and Chris (cjb80) on the other hand... much more potential. What everyone fails to realize sometimes is that there is no secret to going fast... all it takes is money. If you got the money then the rest is a cake walk. I'm currently pursuing FI options for my M3 and it's not much different than when I started out with the S2. I don't like having to weed through the BS to get to the facts and I don't think anyone else should have to either. All of that being said... this is nothing more than a forum for voicing your views and I have nothing but warm fuzzies for everyone here.
Old 08-13-2002, 02:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

derreyck said :

He asked which is faster and Fanman starts posting information that couldn't be more incorrect

Not sure what you are talking about here. My original post said

Supercharger :

$4300 (true)
Easier to install (true)
Doesn't really make any hp until 3500 RPM (true)
Makes linear hp (true)

Turbo

$6200 (true)
Makes more hp (true)
Especially at lower RPM's (true)
Harder to Install (true)

I absolutely agree with you that the turbo setup gives better results, and possibly better potential later, but if the kid only has a certain amount to spend, or doesn't want to deal with the complexities of a turbo setup, then I think a supercharger setup might be a good solution.
Old 08-13-2002, 07:49 PM

from observation of reading many posts such as this, I have not seen a dyno sheet on a speedcraft set up that shows more than 300hp at the wheels on pump gas.

I saw ChrisD' car speedcraft i believe put down 295ish. I have not seen a speedcraft set up that has put down more than this.

were is the proof?

I spent an hour looking through threads and can't find proven speedcraft numbers.

can someone help and find some proof. All I see is speculation on the speedcraft set up. Speedcraft doesn't seem to be all that reliable, every person that has posted about their speedcraft set up has had tunning problems. I haven't seen or heard of one that went in with no problems.

There are 2 comptech s/c cars on this forum right now with over 300rwhp dyno'd and proven.

on the flip side I just read about vortech problems.
Old 08-13-2002, 08:01 PM

While what you say is true, those are again peak horsepower numbers. What are you looking for? Horsepower enough to brag about or everyday useable power in the lower RPM range? At the same time while no one has yet broken the 300hp mark on 91 octane with the speedcraft kit, I think with some internal mods you can see some very impressive HP numbers on pump gas.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CMiS2K
[B]from observation of reading many posts such as this, I have not seen a dyno sheet on a speedcraft set up that shows more than 300hp at the wheels on pump gas.
Old 08-13-2002, 08:24 PM

Personally, I am just glad that s2000 owners can make a choice between systems that may fit their specific needs. Both alternatives have they pro's and con's which have been alluded to a lot . This forum should continue to be a fountain of information for all current and future members so that they can make better informed decisions. IMO, you can't beat the speedcraft turbo on the street or strip when it comes to overall power, flexibility and power potential. With that being said, I would beg to differ that the superchargers don't have much potential. The Novi 1000 that the Comptech kit uses is good for up to 14psi of boost which is a great deal more than the standard 6psi which the stock kit runs. I guess that it is just different strokes for different folks. By the way I'm supercharged
Old 08-14-2002, 03:34 AM

Search a little more... you'll find it. My dyno was floating around here last August or so and I was over 320 RWHP. I've seen one of ChrisD's car in the 330+RWHP range as well and I'm pretty certain that was on this forum. I had no issues with my Speedcraft turbo and don't believe ChrisD has either since he got it tuned... I know Chris posted his 12.6 timeslip so if you don't see proof then you need to open your eyes... it's here.

Fanman,

Doesn't really make any hp until 3500 RPM (true)

This... I guess is true, however it's very misleading. The supercharger doesn't make any significant power until VTEC which is generally around 6000 RPM's. Big difference between 3500 RPM's and 6000 RPM's.

and possibly better potential later

There is no question that the turbo provides more hp potential... there is no possibly about it.
Old 08-14-2002, 07:05 PM

ChrisD's car was running on 110 octane and then broke the 300+ mark. not pump gas, unless you live close to an Airport.

I have not seen this on a dyno sheet, just numbers blatantly posted.

Proof is what I am looking for, just as anyone else would. dyno sheets.

I'm really not convinced that either is worth the money yet. I have been reading posts such as this one for a few months and see different things. One thing I see are claims that a turbo S is better than a s/c S and no proff that the turbo is better, as of yet, have looked for Dyno sheets on the speedcraft floating around. There is so much crap in this forum I get frustrated looking.

derryck

If there is no question that a turbo provides more HP. then help me open my eyes with your dyno sheet.
thanks
Old 08-14-2002, 08:51 PM

Old 08-15-2002, 04:30 AM

Those of you looking to get ahold of the Vortech Supercharger let me know, Bulletproof has the lowest prices guaranteed!

Thanks

Chris
Old 08-15-2002, 04:30 AM

If there is no question that a turbo provides more HP. then help me open my eyes with your dyno sheet.

You're talking about a car that I haven't had for almost a year... I don't have any of my old stuff. I could show you an M3 dyno if you like... not sure that would help you any.

?
Proof is what I am looking for, just as anyone else would. dyno sheets.
Did you also not see ChrisD's time slip? I have yet to see and SC'ed car run anything lower than 13's.

Fastlane,
What is that a dyno of? Obviously FI and obviously a supercharger not a turbo... is that the Vortech set up

Quick Reply: Vortech Vs Speedcraft