S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Vortech set-up dangerously lean, need some ideas

Old 01-09-2004, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortech set-up dangerously lean, need some ideas

I had my '01 with the Vortech SC dynoed today. At 4,000 rpm the a/f is 14/1, at 4,500 it begins to drop and levels off at 5,000rpm to13/1. Just above 6,000, when it hits Vtec, it jumps to 14.5/1 and began to slowly trail off to 13.8/1 at 7,500 rpm where the guys doing the test backed off for safety reasons. At 7,500 rpm it was putting down 268.7hp and 186 ft. #'s of torque. I know some others had problems with lean A/F ratios with this set-up, but I don't remember who. I could sure use some input as to where to start.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:43 PM

Yeah that's me...and sorry I have no idea where to start I'm just looking at the MAP sensor the O2 sensor or the Mass air flow sensor right now. I also just got the Vortech and yesterday tried to get it tuned until it got dangeously lean and they backed off...sorry for not helping I'm right there with you.
Old 01-09-2004, 07:02 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

There's not really a lot of tuning that can be done with a stock Vortech or Comptech SC. You can turn up the presure on the Comptech SC but that just richens the fuel across the range.

I'd recommend an E-manage. Then you can remove the supplied electronics and have complete control over fuel and ignition.

There's one for sale in the For Sale forum as we speak. Highly recommended.
Old 01-09-2004, 07:16 PM

Yep...need a e-manage to have a consistant A/F ratio. Adjusting fuel pressure will also make it run richer through-out the entire rev range, including idle and when its not making boost.

Lemme know if you want to purchase one. I've got one for sale.
Old 01-11-2004, 05:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wino, I'm having mine dyno'ed this weekend. If you can wait that long, I'll compare notes and let you know what my tuner has to say.
Old 01-12-2004, 02:06 AM

AusS2000

E-Managment.............. Do u mean like MOTEC.........??

I am also having the same problem... my SC vortech is a bit lean,, !! I can not do anything except to add E-mang..(Thats what I have been told).. so what are the options? MOTECH ???

Thanks

Omran
Old 01-12-2004, 02:27 AM

All sort of options. The Motec is the Rolls Royce engine management system (I may be a bit biased as it's Australian) but requires some pretty comprehensive installation and tuning.

An easier total replacement system is the AEM for the S2000. It's pplug and play for basic set up but will still require tuning for your set up.

Another option is the E-manage from Greddy. It is a piggy back system so you still use the stock ECU. That said, it has very good features particularly for adding fuel. I have the E-manage and no longer rely on the FPR to add fuel. I have increased the injector size and drive them directly from the E-manage. And this is with a smaller pulley too.

There's a couple of E-manages with all the required cables and software for sale in here. You would also benefit from a plug and play ECU harness from Frogtech as this will make install a breeze.
Old 01-12-2004, 03:43 AM

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

The easiest mechanical fix is to get a Comptech FMU (and the special connecting hoses) and swap out the Vortech FMU.

The comptech unit has an adjustment for the base fuel pressure, which is what you need to change, not the rise rate. It also eliminates the stock FPR (on the fuel rail) which is generally a good idea.

You may still be too lean after increasing the fuel pressure in this crude manner, so an electronic fix would be better.

I may try e-manage in the spring.

MG
Old 01-12-2004, 05:42 AM

Originally posted by AusS2000
All sort of options. The Motec is the Rolls Royce engine management system (I may be a bit biased as it's Australian) but requires some pretty comprehensive installation and tuning.

An easier total replacement system is the AEM for the S2000. It's pplug and play for basic set up but will still require tuning for your set up.

Another option is the E-manage from Greddy. It is a piggy back system so you still use the stock ECU. That said, it has very good features particularly for adding fuel. I have the E-manage and no longer rely on the FPR to add fuel. I have increased the injector size and drive them directly from the E-manage. And this is with a smaller pulley too.

There's a couple of E-manages with all the required cables and software for sale in here. You would also benefit from a plug and play ECU harness from Frogtech as this will make install a breeze.
What sort of A/F ratios are you running, Boost?, HP?
wino
Old 01-12-2004, 12:54 PM

A/F's around 13:1. Boost is 8psi at peak. Power is 214Kw at the wheels on a Dyno Dynamics. It definitely needs some intercooling and I will retune then too.

Quick Reply: Vortech set-up dangerously lean, need some ideas