S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Vortech SC update

Old 12-20-2002, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
Pleased to say I have had excellent service from Vortech. Spoke to the design techs who gave me a lot of tests. It turns out that there was a problem with the ECM holding vacuum (only held a partial vacuum) which was not enough to bleed boost but was creating less fuel pressure and so causing a lean condition. The timing box pulls about 4 degrees and as I run 98 octane or higher it has little effect. Looking at the design fueling maps and the ones posted I think a next step has to be a programmeable piggy back ECU. If there are recomendations in this area for FI then I'd appreciate the feedback. My criteria are:
Simple to tune on rolling road: 2-3 days dyno time and tunable by good tuning house
Controls injectors and not just fool map sensor
Controls timing relative to load/ RPM
Allows engine safety features such as VTEC delay (I do not want to change VTEC point)
Allows ECU to run all other functions
Car is used mostly on road

I see that a pre-configured AEM is mentioned in the linked thread. I am also outside the USA and AEM is not supported in any of my dealers. I would need to look at a Japanese system.
Many thanks
Old 12-21-2002, 05:52 AM

Originally posted by Maca
Hi
Pleased to say I have had excellent service from Vortech. Spoke to the design techs who gave me a lot of tests. It turns out that there was a problem with the ECM holding vacuum (only held a partial vacuum) which was not enough to bleed boost but was creating less fuel pressure and so causing a lean condition. The timing box pulls about 4 degrees and as I run 98 octane or higher it has little effect. Looking at the design fueling maps and the ones posted I think a next step has to be a programmeable piggy back ECU. If there are recomendations in this area for FI then I'd appreciate the feedback. My criteria are:
Simple to tune on rolling road: 2-3 days dyno time and tunable by good tuning house
Controls injectors and not just fool map sensor
Controls timing relative to load/ RPM
Allows engine safety features such as VTEC delay (I do not want to change VTEC point)
Allows ECU to run all other functions
Car is used mostly on road

I see that a pre-configured AEM is mentioned in the linked thread. I am also outside the USA and AEM is not supported in any of my dealers. I would need to look at a Japanese system.
Many thanks
1. I am not sure I understand the need for anything beyond a V-AFC for your application. If the Vortech kit is working properly, you are running under 8 pounds of boost and using 98 octane fuel (God bless you) - there should be no problems.

2. I think the closest you will come to your requirements is the Greddy e-Manage unit: http://www.greddy.com/products/electronics_frame.htm

-YS
Old 12-21-2002, 09:54 AM

Hi
I can't get the VAFC to work with my application. I have positioned it downstream of the MAP box (between MAP box and ECU). When the tuning people try to chnage this they say it has no effect. Anyone got base measures for a Vortech out there?
MACA
ps Checking out the air:fuel again on another dyno session on Monday!
Old 12-21-2002, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by Maca
Hi
I can't get the VAFC to work with my application. I have positioned it downstream of the MAP box (between MAP box and ECU). When the tuning people try to chnage this they say it has no effect. Anyone got base measures for a Vortech out there?
MACA
ps Checking out the air:fuel again on another dyno session on Monday!
I am running a Comptech supercharger with their ESM (modifies MAP signal to hide boost from the ECU). My V-AFC is between the ESM and the ECU and it works fine. Perhaps your V-AFC isn't wired properly?

-YS
Old 12-22-2002, 05:26 PM

Why wouldnt the AEM EMS take care of all of these problems? I planned on going with that usit and bypassing the Vortech module all together and would like to know before plunking down the big bucks for the unit...
Old 12-22-2002, 05:42 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SKREEMR
[B]Why wouldnt the AEM EMS take care of all of these problems?
Old 12-23-2002, 01:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Vortech SC
BA$TARD, BA$TARD, BA$TARD You beat me to it Maca, I was going to be the first with forced induction in the new year but I did'nt know which system to go for as the US is so far away if I got any problems.

But seriousley good look with the set up it's one that I will be following very closely and if your ever near my neck of the woods I'd love to have a nosey at your motor "for inspiration and that".
On that note Chris @ Hyper sports & racing is having an official opening day of his new workshop on Jan 11th "I think" and I know you've purchased stuff from him before so if your around it would be nice to meet you & some magazines should be there to do a review.
Andy
(looks like the turbo route for me )
Old 12-23-2002, 05:38 AM

Andy,
I used 'Hyper Sports' as a quick fix. I tend to use Tuning Japanese in Aldershot as they have a good rolling road and can fit me in at short notice as I'm a regular. Tim also goes to Japan four times a year and researches stuff whilst he's there. He's going to be looking into suspension mods and Greddy bits for me whilst he's there in January. Probably see you at a Supermeet!
MACA (suffering still from fuel tuning problems)
Old 12-23-2002, 07:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maca did you look at the Turbo option or just the SC route?, just wondered what made you go with the Vortech??
It gives me some more confidence that someone has got an F.I. S2000 in the UK, I really don't know what road to go down SC or Turbo do you have any helpfull advice you could give me to sway my decision either way?, I've found that no-one over here will even entertain me unless I have at least