S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Vortech Question...

Old 08-12-2002, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortech Question...

Okay, now these cars redline up to 9K. Lets say that you drive the car only taking it up to 5-6K RPM's. Will the boost kick in around those rpm's? The reason why I ask this is because the less boost you use when its not necessary, the better off your engine will be.

SO: my point is at what rpm's does the vortech boost start to kick in on these cars?

Thanks!!!
Old 08-12-2002, 06:38 AM

I have had the Vortech unit on my car for about one week. You observation is correct in that the kick happens in higher RPMs. However, my calculations say that in the quarter mile you won't go beyond 3rd gear. It should turn high 12s at 105+.

However, the Vortech units has problems yet to be determined. Mine causes the engine light to go about every 48 hours. When the engine light comes on, the engine shuts down to 3,000 RPM. There appear to be electronic controller box issues and the engine is not accepting this unit well. As a matter of fact, I'm so pissed off, I'd like to have the unit taken out of my car. I have almost $6,000 in it.
Old 08-12-2002, 06:51 AM
S2K

Originally posted by TequilaBob
I have had the Vortech unit on my car for about one week. You observation is correct in that the kick happens in higher RPMs. However, my calculations say that in the quarter mile you won't go beyond 3rd gear. It should turn high 12s at 105+.

However, the Vortech units has problems yet to be determined. Mine causes the engine light to go about every 48 hours. When the engine light comes on, the engine shuts down to 3,000 RPM. There appear to be electronic controller box issues and the engine is not accepting this unit well. As a matter of fact, I'm so pissed off, I'd like to have the unit taken out of my car. I have almost $6,000 in it.
Have you ever dragged with the S??? If you don't go into 4th gear before you finish the 1/4...it's gonna feel like you just hit a brick wall when fuel cut kicks in. I tried it a few times and I have to change gears before even crossing the 1/4 mark...3rd gear can not read 105+ MPH.

Your timing device is either the wrong one or it's faulty. Mine is doing the same thing...after checking with the other guys who have had the same problem. It turns out that they have the wrong timing device. I have to call Vortech today and get a new timing device overnight to me as well.
Old 08-12-2002, 07:25 AM

3rd gear tops out at ~90 mph... Supercharger or not, the gear is still the same size.
Old 08-12-2002, 08:12 AM

The ECU check light every 24 - 48 hours is a different issue than the constant check light. I know this because I have had both issues and am still having the occasional check light issue.

I have narrowed it down to when I have high RPMs but no throttle. IE shifting at high RPM's with out going full throttle or just backing out of throttle rapidly but not completely.

Maybe an O2 sensor? Im not real sure

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one with this problem. Mike said he has not experienced it yet.

I have removed the ECU backup fuse so I can reset the light on the fly. This has made the problem less of an annoyance but still a concern.

I am contacing Vortech as I type this to get there take on it.
Old 08-12-2002, 08:15 AM

So when u vortech owners drive around the city casually with your S, are u using any kind of boost? When i say drive 'casually', i mean taking the carp up to 5-6KRPM's.

That check engine light was something new to me...never new that...
Old 08-12-2002, 08:23 AM

Yes there is about 1.8 lbs of boost at 4500 RPM's

Here is a dyno that should clear it up for you.

the last graph is boost and at what RPM's it is occuring

Old 08-12-2002, 10:38 AM

SKTroop; thanks, thats exactly what i was looking for
Old 08-12-2002, 10:46 AM

S2K troup: any updates on Vortech's take on the 24-48 hour check engine light issue? Has this happened on all vortech'ed s2k's so far? Could it damage your engine?
Old 08-12-2002, 11:08 AM

Originally posted by wannaS2000
SKTroop; thanks, thats exactly what i was looking for
But, just like the Comptech kit the unit produces no boost into the engine when it is not at WOT.

Quick Reply: Vortech Question...