S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Vortech has STILL NOT gotten the glitches out of their S/C kits!

Old 11-20-2002, 09:01 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Vortech has STILL NOT gotten the glitches out of their S/C kits!

This all started innocently enough with another topic but I thought it would interest people to see this ongoing episode so I've started this new thread here so that more people will see the updates as they happen. It would seem that even the "new, improved and revised" Vortech S/C computer boxes are STILL faulty.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&threadid=91738

Thanks to sky-chicken for keeping us informed.
Old 11-20-2002, 11:06 AM
S2K

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I received a new timing unit from Vortech a couple weeks ago. I was getting a CEL when ever I fuel cut in 2nd gear. I also sent them my Dyno graph...they concluded that my timing unit was defective, this was the second one they sent me. So far the new unit has been working quite well...no CEL when hit fuel cut a couple times in 2nd gear. Keeping my figures crossed...

I spoke to Mike in service and he says that it doesn't matter what the timing unit looks like...whether it has the wire and vaccum line on the same side or on different sides, the important thing is to have the correct program loaded in the unit.
Old 11-20-2002, 11:59 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

S2K, approximately when did you receive the "old", bad unit? I'm trying to determine if the good and bad units were produced at the same time or if there was a cutoff date, after which, there were no more "bad" units.
Old 11-20-2002, 01:04 PM
S2K

I got the "old" unit back in August...the new one I just received, according to Mike, was tested to work properly before they sent it to me since this was my second replacement already.

I think it's hard to tell if you got a good one or bad one until you actually hook it up and start driving the car. The second unit never CEL until I start fuel cutting 2nd gear. Then the ECU would go into SAFE mode and not let me rev past 4000RPM.

So far the new unit has been holding up. I raced a Turbo Talon the other day and I know I hit fuel cut in 2nd gear twice...but no CEL came on. I'm hoping that this new box is the correct one.
Old 11-20-2002, 01:13 PM

Mike from diablomotorsports.com made pictures of both units and he has the "right" EPROM date (mine :-) ) for this unit. It is all about the software and not the hardware. I will ask him to post the pictures today or shoot him an e-mail to mike@diablomotorsports.com (he will send the data)
Old 11-20-2002, 05:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry to hijack the thread; I couldn't help but notice:

xviper & skychicken....separated at birth? Hmm....
Old 11-21-2002, 02:24 AM

Originally posted by Station
Sorry to hijack the thread; I couldn't help but notice:

xviper & skychicken....separated at birth? Hmm....
took me about 10 sec bfore I got it ...
Old 11-22-2002, 06:12 AM

I am interested in knowing if the Vortech product has given you the performance increase that you have expected? I have been debating the s/c vs. some Mugen naturally aspirated products. In addition, how is the quality of the product, parts, etc?
Old 11-22-2002, 08:39 AM

The best bang for the bug ! It has power enough but I don't like the "idle sound" of the supercharger. It sounds like an old water pump. I compared ssoud file with comtech and the comptech charger sound even worse in idle. I would go for sure for a turbo now because in idle it makes the car sound "cheap" but the power gain is amazing. It is a trade off.
Old 12-05-2002, 09:01 AM

Update:

I love my Vortech now. Took a while but the power output is amazing. After 1000 miles nor problems and the idle sound is good now. I think it took a while to break in the charger.My first concern was that the engine can not support the power increase put no problems at all. Only weak point is my clutch (7500 RPM and up it slips) I invested in the Supersprint" with straight pipe and I have to admit it is much to loud (maybe the supercharger blows more out the pipe) I bought the mid-silenceer.

Quick Reply: Vortech has STILL NOT gotten the glitches out of their S/C kits!