S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Vibration/shakes from rear only when taking off

Old 07-14-2008, 09:48 AM
Former Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it happen at all under full acceleration with the clutch out? It still might be an inner CV on the driver's side
Old 07-14-2008, 11:56 AM

I was thinking CV joints judging from past posts I've read. However, the only time it vibrates, is when I take off from a stop, while I'm letting the clutch out smoothly, if I get off it quick it doesn't do it.

Once I get moving, even under full acceleration it doesn't shake/vibrate at all.

The only reason I'm concerned is that it didn't do this when I first bought the car (I've only had it for about two months, it just started doing this)
Old 07-14-2008, 12:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where are you located?

Post in a local forum, and I'm sure some S2000 experts would be happy to come check it out. May cost you a six-pack, though.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:06 PM

Mines does it too, anything above 2000 rpm rev with slow movement of clutch out at stop i get a little hesitation and shaking from the rear until i start moving... from what i know though I don't have an aftermarket clutch..
Old 07-14-2008, 02:33 PM

So what do you do, give it lower revs or take off quicker? I seem like I'm going to bog if I give it below 2000 and I don't like taking off quicker that much, I prefer a more subtle take off. Hopefully it's just my clutch, I can't wait to get rid of this thing.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:00 PM

Actually, I just went out and tested it, it does not shutter when i'm between 800rpm and 1100 rpm just above 1100 rpm slightly. I guess I just need practice.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:14 PM

Perhaps I do too, 800-1100 seems so low for this car, at least in my mind. My car doesn't seem to respond well to those rpm.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you're over-analyzing the situation. If you concentrate too hard on RPM like that, you'll never get the feel for the clutch. Besides, holding a steady RPM like that is not the best way to get a smooth engagement anyway. Forget all about the tach and learn it by feel.

Regardless, if you're getting your new clutch on Thursday...who cares? Just wait and see if that fixes it. If it does, problem solved and now you have get used to the OEM clutch (piece of cake). If it doesn't, then it was never the clutch the begin with, all this worrying over the exact RPM for letting out your pedal (on your current clutch) was pointless. Actually, it's pointless whatever the outcome, now that I think about it.

Either way, nothing will matter until Thursday anyway, so let's see what happens then.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:16 AM

My s2k does the same thing. Like people posted, it only happens when I take off at higher rpms. When I'm low in the rpms, between 800-1300 rpms it doesn't shake or rattle. All I think it is, is the clutch enganging. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:34 AM

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

IMO, it's clutch chatter. I've had it on several vehicles in the past. It's most prominent when you engage the clutch at low RPMs, and can get worse the more you do this. If your clutch sees a steady diet of higher RPM launches, the problem tends to lessen and maybe go away.

It is likely due to the type of clutch material. Part of the clutch/pp gets glazed, so the coefficient of friction varies as it turns. For some reason, faster launches prevents this condition from happening. since this clutch was designed for hard launches, it's not surprising.

I had a Corolla a while back that developed this problem. Someone borrowed it for a while and when he returned it, the problem was gone. When I asked him about it, he didn't know what I was talking about. He always launched at higher RPMs than I did.

The stock clutch on my S2000 never had this problem, and I have 76,000 miles on it.

Quick Reply: Vibration/shakes from rear only when taking off