S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Vibration/shakes from rear only when taking off

Old 07-06-2008, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Vibration/shakes from rear only when taking off

I've been searching for quite a while now and mostly come up with posts about the rear axle nut needing to be re-torqued, but everyone seems to describe their problem as a clicking and mine seems to be more of vibrations/shakes only when taking off from a complete stop. Shifting seems completely fine. It seems to me that it's only coming from the left side of the rear but I could be wrong. I bought the car a couple months ago but didn't notice this until a few days ago. The clutch was replaced about 6,000 miles ago (before I bought it) with a cusco hyper single, which I hate. The vibrations/shakes seem most prominent when I try and take off smoothly/slowly. Perhaps it is the rear axle nut, but any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 07-07-2008, 05:37 PM

bump....anyone? It's killing me! My car is completely stock besides the clutch, trans and diff flush 7,000 miles ago.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nut the nuts. Could be a diff problem, or more likely CV joints. A quick search of your problem pulled this TSB up:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=275218
Could that be it?

Also, these clutches are fairly harsh, I have an Exedy (which I LOVE, BTW). Puck clutches like to grab and go, don't expect perfectly smooth engagement every time. I'm quite used to it, but I still can't avoid a violent start every now and then, with all kinds of vibrations and shaking.

Good luck, either way.

Edit - one other thing - you're sure the new diff fluid was the right stuff, yes? No whining sounds or anything before this started?
Old 07-08-2008, 10:04 AM

Thanks for your suggestions, Perhaps it is just the way the clutch grabs like you said. Regardless I've already ordered a new OEM clutch from Exedy, because I don't like driving this thing, not a DD in my opinion.

The TSB that you posted about the CV joints mentioned vibrations if you're going over 30mph and mine only occur when taking off from a complete stop, I'm sure there's still a chance my CV joints might be bad though.

As far as the diff fluid goes, it was Mobil 1 75w-90, and it never mad any noises before.

Hopefully when I'm getting the new clutch put in they'll find any problems if there are any. Any other input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Old 07-09-2008, 01:05 PM

Anyone else? I can't get my clutch in until next week and would like to hear what anyone else thinks. Thanks.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:17 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

It's probably clutch engagement.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:34 PM

yeah.. maybe your not giving it enough gas on take off? to low of rpms at take off = shake.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:09 PM

I normally do between 2000-2500 but I've gone up to 3000 and it still does it, if I let it out slowly and smoothly. If I get off the clutch quicker it doesn't do it shake/vibrate, however, there are times when I don't want to take off quickly, i.e. getting out of the driveway, parking lots, neighborhood stop signs. I really appreciate the input! I think I'm going to change my diff fluid time I have off.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the clutch, and it's perfectly normal. You eventually learn it, but it's TOUGH. One of the toughest clutches I've ever had to get used to, but I did, and now I love it (the Exedy version, that is). They're amazing clutches.

You'll figure out the right way to feather it eventually, took me about 500-600 miles before I was smooth with slow starts, and every now and then I still botch it. I wouldn't recommend staring at the tach to figure it out, it's just too twitchy a clutch for that. Just keep "bleeding" on the gas when it engages, don't get startled and back off the throttle. You'll be fine.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:29 AM

Thanks man. My only question against the theory of the problem being my clutch is that it didn't vibrate/shake during the first month of owning the car, I've also had my friend drive it and it does the same thing, so I'm assuming it's not my driving.

Aside from the clutch what do you guys think it could be? I'm getting a new clutch installed Thursday, but I've been trying to figure it out before then, I haven't driven the S in over a week!

Quick Reply: Vibration/shakes from rear only when taking off