S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

vibration/rumbling from transmission while creepin

Old 06-19-2008, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vibration/rumbling from transmission while creepin

Hey guys, I've been searching around and can't seem to find out what's wrong.

Basically I noticed this first happen last night in a parking lot while creeping at 5mph. If I press the clutch all the way in and hold it there while my car coasts at 5mph or less, I hear & feel a slight rumble/vibration from the gearbox area and shift knob. Also I'd say that the "rumbles" are speed dependant and not rpm based. If I leave the clutch engaged and coast at 5mph it's gone.

I can feel the vibration through the shift knob and can only hear it as I'm slowing down to a stop from 5mph - 0mph. Best way to describe what it feels like is not a constant vibration but a series of "bumps" felt through the shift knob as the car comes to a stop WITH the clutch disengaged (pressed in).

54k miles on an MY00 and about 900-1000 miles ago I had my clutch & pressure plate replaced along with the 1-2 gear grind TSB.

Any gurus out there that could lend some words of advice, please feel free to chime in cause I'm freaked out and scared to further drive my car

Thanks guys!
Old 06-19-2008, 11:33 AM

anyone?
Old 06-19-2008, 09:51 PM

the vibration is present when in 1st gear and the clutch disengaged

help!
Old 01-19-2010, 12:02 PM

I tried searching and this guy is describing pretty much the exact same symptoms i am experiencing but it seems he did not get any answers, does anybody have any ideas?

Basically while creeping at low speeds in first gear (like say in a parking lot when im about to park), if i press the clutch in and coast to a stop i will get a horrible series of "bumps" or "vibrations" almost as if the transmission is bucking or trying to bang into gear, even though the car should technically be in neutral since the clutch is pressed in.

Also, even if the car is at a complete stop and i push the clutch in and select say first gear, the car makes a horrible metallic grinding noise. The noise will go away if i put the car in neutral with the clutch still depressed, but as soon as i put it back in gear (clutch still depressed) it will start making the grinding sounds again.

Anybody ever heard of anything like this?
Old 01-19-2010, 05:29 PM

Seriously nobody has ever encountered this??

At the very least, does this seem like more of a clutch or tranny issue?
I just don't get how the car can be grinding while at a standstill in gear with the clutch pushed in, is it maybe not disengaging completely?
Old 01-20-2010, 04:46 AM

i have the same exact vibrations when in reverse and in first
the vibration comes only when the clutch is all the way down and brake to stop, mostly, it happenes in parking.
i have a thread asked about it!
check this out
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...pic=745811&hl=
you can try the map sensor whack and clean your IAC
I have done the map whack, cleaned my IAC valve, replace my spark plugs, air filter and reset my ECU
the vibration is gone, but still have a little bit in reverse only, but it is not very noticable, just some slight virbrations
before i done all those things, i have a terrible shake like yours, i can even see the hood is shaking up and down, when the vibrations came
hopes it help!
Old 01-20-2010, 07:57 AM

make sure they adjusted the clutch pedal after they had performed your clutch job...

There was a thread about someone putting on a new clutch kit and they pedal was not adjusted properly and the transmission broke!
Old 01-20-2010, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by harrison1990,Jan 20 2010, 05:46 AM
i have the same exact vibrations when in reverse and in first
the vibration comes only when the clutch is all the way down and brake to stop, mostly, it happenes in parking.
i have a thread asked about it!
check this out
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...pic=745811&hl=
you can try the map sensor whack and clean your IAC
I have done the map whack, cleaned my IAC valve, replace my spark plugs, air filter and reset my ECU
the vibration is gone, but still have a little bit in reverse only, but it is not very noticable, just some slight virbrations
before i done all those things, i have a terrible shake like yours, i can even see the hood is shaking up and down, when the vibrations came
hopes it help!
Interesting, thanks for the ideas harrison.

Thing is, my issue is not rpm related- meaning it does not happen due to the rpm's dipping below 1000. The rpm does not fluctuate while the problem is occuring so i'm certain it is not a map or IAC issue.

And it is very unpleasant, quite a violent vibration/clunking that jerks the car a little bit and is quite audible which is why im thinking it is either a clutch or tranny issue.

But it only happens in first gear and reverse. Funny thing is, it's intermittent. Sometimes when i put the car in first or reverse it wont do it, but sometimes it will.

I can tell when it is going to do it because sometimes as soon as i put it in first gear or reverse i can immediately hear a metallic grinding noise while i still have the clutch depressed...so when i go to release the clutch and engage the gear i will feel the vibrations/clunking as if the car is lugging/trying to bang into gear (it will still move forward or backwards as normally, but not without the loud banging/clunking sound and vibration). And the clunking goes away as soon as i exceed about 2000 rpm.

Just weird how it only happens at low speeds, such as while creeping in first gear in a parkade or while taking off from a light.

My solution so far has been to shift into another gear before trying to select first or reverse, and listening to hear any grinding while the clutch is still pressed in. If i hear any grinding, i'll shift out of the gear and try shifting back in again until i don't hear any noise before i feel safe to release it in gear.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:03 PM

^ Oh and harrison, I read the rest of your thread and I think we have two entirely separate issues here.

I assume when you say "shaking" you are referring to the car "shuddering" such as when the rpm's dip below 1000 and it feels like it is about to stall out?

If so, that is NOT at all what i am experiencing, i know exactly what the shuddering is like and this is an entirely different problem. Sorry if you misunderstood what i meant, i will try to be more clear.

My problem is driveline related. The best way i can describe it is it almost feels like I am getting driveline "shock" or "backlash" and that is what is causing the vibration/clunking i am referring to.

It seems to be the worst if i am coasting to a stop in first gear and press in the clutch (while car is still in first gear) and continue braking. As I slow down to a near stop (keep in mind clutch is still fully depressed so in effect it should be as if im in "neutral") i will get repeated "clunks" as if the car is banging in gear, and i can feel this vibration through the shifter and the pedals and the clunks will continue even after coming to a complete stop.

The car will not stop clunking until i shift into neutral. As you can imagine, this makes driving in stop and go traffic PURE HELL!!! Stop and go traffic is the time in which you creep in first gear the most, hence this is when i've been having the most problems.

Car has never done this at all in the previous years i've owned it, please help if anybody can. P.s clutch has been bled, tranny fluid has been changed all within the past couple months. Thanks for reading.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:20 PM

how does the clutch pedal feel? softer than normal? i would check the clutch master cylinder for leaks

Quick Reply: vibration/rumbling from transmission while creepin