S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Vibration from the rear

Old 03-10-2012, 06:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration from the rear

Hi all,

I am trying to get some more recent input/update if anyone has encountered my situation that I am about to explain. I bought my 2001 S2K in June of 2011 and drove just fine with OEM 16" wheels. Well I got greedy and wanted to upgrade. So towards end of the summer I bought AP2 17" wheels (used), 4 new tires, new 15mm spacers and new 1" springs. I installed everything except the tires and parked the car in the garage (winters are harsh in Wisconsin so I had a winter beater I drove last couple of months). As it got warmer this week, I took my tires to a shop and got them mounted and balanced. When I pulled off the lot, I noticed unusual vibration coming through the seat as I accelerated hard. I went back to the shop to recheck the balancing and it looked really good. They even tried putting the dummy tire in the back to see if the vibration get eliminated but it did NOT. So that's when I got worried that I may have a bigger problem.

I have been reading few promising posts on the forums here and it seems like this is a common issue when lowering S2K. Because the axles slightly get stretched they will cause the vibrations because of the tension. Solution: install 10mm driveshaft spacers or switch (replace) inner cv joints. Before I buy anything and start working, I just want to make sure that I seem to be on the right train of thought here? Currently I plan to buy the spacers because for me they are easier and quicker to install. Now, have most people been successful at eliminating the vibration after installing the shaft spacers? I am just worried that after installing spacers that I will still get vibration and I am forced to replace/swap the vc cups anyway. Will the spacers eliminate the problem for sure and for couple of years, not just for couple of months?

Any input and suggestions would help. Thanks.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:24 AM

Received 1,338 Likes on 810 Posts

I say pull the axles out and swap buckets left to right.

Axle spacers are a band-aid.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250
I say pull the axles out and swap buckets left to right.

Axle spacers are a band-aid.
I have been reading multiple posts preaching that spacers are a "temp solution" for couple of months as the issue seems top come back and they still end up swapping the cv buckets. Just out of curiosity, what would a car shop charge for such labor or would they even agree to perform such a job, meaning, swap buckets left to right, right to left?