S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Vibration from heat shield over catalytic converte

Old 05-21-2007, 01:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration from heat shield over catalytic converte

I have had a tinny vibration from under the car for quite some time at certain RPMs. I am almost certain it is the thin piece of metal suspended over the catalytic converter, which I assume to be a heat shield (when I jack up a side and reach underneath, when tappped, that piece makes a similar sound as the vibration that I hear while driving). What I can not determine is how it is fastened to the chassis in order to tighten and/or dampen. It doesn't seem to be in any danger of falling off; just causes a vibration that bugs me to no end. Can anyone offer suggestions? Thanks.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it make the noise at a certain rpm both when accelerating and when decelerating? Or does it make the noise only when decelerating from about 4k to 3k rpm?
Old 05-21-2007, 10:41 AM

your heat shield may be loose
Old 05-21-2007, 07:03 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sometimes the honeycomb inside the catalytic converter breaks off and rattles as well.

You can buy a piece of Dynamat to put on the top of the heat shield to keep it from rattling.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by RedY2KS2k,May 21 2007, 04:45 PM
Does it make the noise at a certain rpm both when accelerating and when decelerating? Or does it make the noise only when decelerating from about 4k to 3k rpm?
It is a tinny vibration sound (such as a thin piece of metal like the heat shield would make) that happens not necessarily 100% of the time, but anywhere from idling to acceleration to deceleration and even cruising. So, there is not specific RPM at which this vibration takes place. It is most notable during a shift (when motor quiets for a brief moment), or when travelling alongside a median wall where the sound from under the car echoes back to me. It probably vibrates more often than I notice, but is drowned out by the sound of the motor.

I doubt that it is the cat itself. In my experience, a busted up cat has a heavier rattle sound, and you can hear it rattle inside the cat when you tap it from the outside of the cat; I am not experiencing this. I am almost certain that it is the heat shield, but I just haven't been able to locate any loose/missing bolts.

Does anyone know how many total attachment points there are for the heat shield? Are there any welds, or is it all hardware? I have limited vision utilizing a floor jack in the garage (can't get far enough under to see entire heat shield). I may try using a mirror today. Would dynamat be able to withstand the extreme heat that the heat shield is subject to? I would think it would melt/burn.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:10 PM

OK....so on further inspection, I was wrong. Getting under the car while it was running, I sourced my noise to the resonation chamber on my Spugen exhaust. I called Spugen, and they said that it is only welded to the pipe on one end, and that a couple of spot welds on the other side should quiet my problem. I'll keep you posted.

Update: The resonator was loose against the pipe entering it from the front. (only the rear portion is welded to the pipe). At Spugen's direction, I had my friend weld the resonator to the pipe on the forward section, and voila!.....no more rattle.