S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

vibration from 40-50mph

Old 09-12-2010, 05:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vibration from 40-50mph

recently noticed that when im accelearting in any gear from 40-50mph the car will vibrate and then go back to normal after 50.. any ideas?? time for alignment?
edit- car has 81k miles, and I replaced all bearings connecting to differential weeks ago
Old 09-12-2010, 06:00 AM

wheel off balance probably
Old 09-12-2010, 07:19 AM

easy fix?
Old 09-12-2010, 07:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HiRpmVTEC,Sep 12 2010, 05:03 AM
recently noticed that when im accelearting in any gear from 40-50mph the car will vibrate and then go back to normal after 50.. any ideas?? time for alignment?
edit- car has 81k miles, and I replaced all bearings connecting to differential weeks ago
Need more info.The car will vibrate from where? All over? If it's alignment or front tire issues you will get steering wheel feedback. The fact that you mentioned that you recently performed bearing replacements on the rear end ,but didn't specify which,has me concerned as to your potential issue.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Robert O,Sep 12 2010, 07:23 AM
Need more info.The car will vibrate from where? All over? If it's alignment or front tire issues you will get steering wheel feedback. The fact that you mentioned that you recently performed bearing replacements on the rear end ,but didn't specify which,has me concerned as to your potential issue.
It's honestly hard to pinpoint but its is only
During acceleration and feels
like it's coming from the rear although it seems to shake the whole car from that mph. The bearings replaced were both the axles that go into diff as well as where the drive shaft goes to diff. The car drove flawless since the fix about a month ago, until
Now
Old 09-12-2010, 11:04 AM

I can definetely feel the shaking in my seat too
Old 09-12-2010, 03:46 PM

Bump
Old 09-12-2010, 09:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure from your posts exactly why the rear input and axle bearings were changed or who performed this critical service in the first place but the rear end and final drive is where I'd be looking for my ghost. A mechanical or friction imballance always has a critical rpm at which it shows itself.Of course if one was to have access to a mechanalysis vibration readout unit one could determine the frequency of the vibration and narrow it down to a rotational component that matched the rpm critical. That said ,I also be looking at the CV joints.May have worn buckets causing this issue.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by Robert O,Sep 12 2010, 09:12 PM
Not sure from your posts exactly why the rear input and axle bearings were changed or who performed this critical service in the first place but the rear end and final drive is where I'd be looking for my ghost. A mechanical or friction imballance always has a critical rpm at which it shows itself.Of course if one was to have access to a mechanalysis vibration readout unit one could determine the frequency of the vibration and narrow it down to a rotational component that matched the rpm critical. That said ,I also be looking at the CV joints.May have worn buckets causing this issue.
thanks for the info. i had them changed because i had the infamous "worn rear bearing" sound, and after having the car inspected it turned out to be the other bearings.. Also the vibration doesnt necesarilly occur at a cerain rpm, more of a set speed. I could be in 2nd-5th gear the car will vibrate in any gear between 40-50. I will give the mecahnic a call today and descibe him the situation and go from there. Thanks for the info
Old 09-13-2010, 04:04 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

If you can get the vibration to shut on and off with the gas pedal (vibrates when accelerating, immediately stops on decel) then it is 100% worn CV buckets. If so you can switch them side to side and cost $0 in parts.

Quick Reply: vibration from 40-50mph