S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Very Weird Steering Problem

Old 10-24-2008, 03:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LEE72,Oct 24 2008, 01:26 PM
To me that sounds like trailing throttle oversteer, a generally desirable handling trait in a sports car.
exactly, that's just what the car does in a corner on and off the gas. try it in any RWD car.. the faster you go the more apparent it becomes. when you on/off the gas like that in a corner you are also upsetting the suspension causing what you are describing. That's why they say in slow, out fast.. rather than in fast, .. < Ican't think of anything catchy to put there but you get the idea.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by istdercollen,Oct 24 2008, 06:39 PM
exactly, that's just what the car does in a corner on and off the gas. try it in any RWD car.. the faster you go the more apparent it becomes. when you on/off the gas like that in a corner you are also upsetting the suspension causing what you are describing. That's why they say in slow, out fast.. rather than in fast, .. < Ican't think of anything catchy to put there but you get the idea.
yeah, im not that worried about it. just gets a bit unnerving when you're blastin through a curve at the top of 2nd and gotta shift. makes me a bit uncomfortable. any suggestions?

(sorry to the OP for going off topic.)

james
Old 10-24-2008, 06:27 PM

you either have to hold that gear, start the corner in the next taller gear, or be a baller and shift anyway!
Old 10-25-2008, 05:10 AM
mlc

Originally Posted by istdercollen,Oct 24 2008, 06:27 PM
you either have to hold that gear, start the corner in the next taller gear, or be a baller and shift anyway!
The first two suggestions I would use. The third I would not recommend especially in VTEC. That will upset the car A LOT. Here is a little metal vision for you. You up-shift mid corner, it unloads the rear wheels and then you get back on it in the higher gear. Sounds like a spin to me.

The car handles so well sometimes you feel like it can do anything. Trust me it can't.

mlc
Old 10-25-2008, 06:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 05apduece,Oct 23 2008, 12:29 PM
check the rear tire pressure

standard situation.

After that it's throttle over-steer.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:03 PM

It's your alignment! get a 4wheel alignment and get everything back in sepc my car handles way different since I got mine done. I had to re-learn hoe to drive my car since it's been out of spec for so damn long it's not bearings or anything like that make sure u have all the same size tires and pressures all around and get an alignment it'll make a night and day difference trust me!
-Vito
Old 10-25-2008, 02:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^ yes and no.... way "different" doesn't mean better or worse.

If it's throttle over-steer that's usually PREFERRED in a sports car.

He has a `00 which is one of the years MOST prone to doing this. I would say his alignment is normal and to simply get used to it.

Check your tire wear to see if you have a uneven wear pattern, otherwise my vote is to just drive the thing. If it does it equally to each side that's a good sign.

-G
Old 10-25-2008, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by S2KVITO,Oct 25 2008, 11:03 AM
It's your alignment! get a 4wheel alignment and get everything back in sepc my car handles way different since I got mine done. I had to re-learn hoe to drive my car since it's been out of spec for so damn long it's not bearings or anything like that make sure u have all the same size tires and pressures all around and get an alignment it'll make a night and day difference trust me!
-Vito
Did you just read the first post and then skip all the repsonses before writing your own?

How come no one starts with the simple stuff first on these boards? This thread is a great example. Guy says, hi my car acts funny on and off the gas in hard corners. Answers he gets are.. change wheel bearings, change alignment, blah blah. Some guy in another thread changed his differential, only to find out his CV joint was the problem. Like I and others said above, since the car (RWD cars) does (do) this I would imagine its normal operation of the vehicle. yes check Tire pressure but also just try not to upset the car while mid corner. That's the first step, then you can actually check to see if it is a problem or not./
Old 10-25-2008, 03:30 PM

The car did not do it from the start, i had the car for about a month before it started. Its not normal, i know cars, ive driven Many rear wheel drive sports cars.. Im going to get an alignment when i get the car back, ill let you know.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:31 PM

okay. not to be dick, but if you know cars, why did you ask a worldwide message board for help? hope you resolve your issue.

Quick Reply: Very Weird Steering Problem