S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Very Weird Steering Problem

Old 10-23-2008, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very Weird Steering Problem

I would say it is weird. I am on the gas, the car handles tight to the inside, i let off the gas, the car goes wide toward the outside of the turn, enough where i have to correct with the steering wheel. Anyone else have this problem? The car did not always do it, it just came one day.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:29 AM

check the rear tire pressure
Old 10-23-2008, 02:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ok i've just solved this problem for my own situation. in my case it was having two different tires in the rear. different tread patterns or different tire diameters or different tire pressures can all cause this problem.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:19 PM

you put the front tire on the rear, didn't you?
Old 10-23-2008, 07:07 PM

tire pressures are fine, 2 fairly new axiens.. Ill check the size of them tomorow. 235/45/16.. i think. How adjustable is the rear toe on this car?
Old 10-24-2008, 09:47 AM

If I remember correctly, both Camber and Toe are adjustable in the rear, but you just have to find a shop with a good enough machine to do the alignment the way you want. Trust me, even a little bit of reear toe will take out the tread on your tires in no time flat. Front toe, not so much.

I know there are threads about which machines can do it best and you can poll your local tire shops or racing shops if you have any.

I wasn't trying to put you down about the front tire on the rear. I actually did that one time and it pulled SERIOUSLY to one side when braking. Low pressure does it also.
If you have the same size tires on both rears and the same size tires on both fronts (not necessary to have same size front to back), you shouldn't be pulling to one side since each side is equal.
I'd definitely get your alignment checked to see how off your values are. Even if they are off from spec, check the differences between right and left. There's a possiblity you may have hit something (animal, pothole, curb, etc).

Good luck.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:17 PM

It does it in both directions, it does not pull at all when going strait, just when in a turn on the gas, its tight to the inside of the turn, left off it goes way wide..
Old 10-24-2008, 02:33 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Check wheel bearings? Jack up car and shake the wheel/tire to see if there is any play.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:00 PM

i kinda have a similar problem in my ap1. only difference is when in a turn, and i let off the gas, the car turns in. if i give it more gas, it understeers just a bit.

had it aligned and made it better, but still does it a bit. both tires are the same size/brand/tread left, and pressures are correct. remember askin this question before and was told its just how the car (ap1's at least) is. ive all but gotten used to it.

james
Old 10-24-2008, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by shotgunjimmy,Oct 24 2008, 04:00 PM
i kinda have a similar problem in my ap1. only difference is when in a turn, and i let off the gas, the car turns in. if i give it more gas, it understeers just a bit.
To me that sounds like trailing throttle oversteer, a generally desirable handling trait in a sports car.

Quick Reply: Very Weird Steering Problem