S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Very rough idling

Old 10-09-2010, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very rough idling

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I've created an account to ask some questions of people who obviously know a lot about this kind of stuff.

What's happened is that the CEL came on a few days ago and the idling sporadically gets very rough. I can feel it all the way up the shifter. It's periodic when it happens. But then other times it's fine and nothing happens. The CEL stays on all the time now. I just had it serviced about two weeks ago. I brought it in to have it looked at yesterday and they tell me the throttle body is dying.

The reason I'm here asking, though, is that when I've mentioned this to others they tell me that it's very strange for a throttle body to go. Is this accurate? Should I get a second opinion or does anyone have any thoughts about what else it could be?

I realize I wasn't very specific. I'm not very mechanically savvy but if there's something else you want to know I'll do what I can.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:11 AM

Its common for some s2k's TPS go out.
The reason why honda said that your throttle body is going out is that the TPS is part of the throttle body, and a OEM throttle body usuall y costs between 600-700$.
Now if you feel confident enough, you can replace your faulty TPS with a Omni one. And you'll save a few hundred dollars.
Trick is, you need to know how to set up the TPS to be angled correctly to read right. There is a thread on a DIY TPS, so if your interested, search it.
IMO go with a new throttle body. The replacement TPS job is sorta hack, ppl on here have had 100% success with it but i don't like the way its done.
Besides, new TB, new TPS, that works 100% like its supposed to, and your getting all new hardware....

or go here, get a spoon 70mm TB and kill 2 birds with one stone, performance, and reliability.

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/performanc...Throttle_Bodies
Old 10-09-2010, 11:25 AM

So I can buy that spoon throttle body for $700 or I can pay $700 for the honda one. Strange... well thanks for the fast reply. I wouldn't want to do the Omni one you're talking about simply because, like I said, I'm not all that mechanically inclined. I don't think I want to mess with something that I need to tweak myself. If I'm messing around under my hood I'm as likely to break something as I am to fix it. More likely.

Since it's the same price though, am I better off just buying the linked TB?

Again thanks for the fast reply. That's just the information I needed. Other parts guys were acting like this sort of thing never happens.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:12 PM

Yes, buying a spoon TB is good, Spoon is a very well known and trusted company, and anything straight from the factory(OEM) is always expensive, BUT! i did research and you can get the Oem one for less than the spoon, buying it offline from a local Honda dealer will run you $602.20 vs the $640.00 Spoon TB.
Actually, mine TPS is the same way, i havent had the $$$ to buy a new TB, so what i do is live with it.
Some ppls cars get to the point of dieing, mine doesnt, yet.
But the best you can do is, when it idles like that, dont rev it to compensate for the loss of rpms, the computer on our cars will even the idle out, not 100% but it will hold it. Its a learning cpu so try hard not to rev it. Now, if you have to, to keep the car running, thats a differnt story, but if its that bad all the time, i would recommend fixing it way sooner than later.
But ya, if you want to fix it now, do a TB swap, probably the best thing.
Do u have an aftermarket intake?
Old 10-09-2010, 08:58 PM

No I don't. Why? Thanks for looking around though... will it last a good amount of time like this or is it an immediate problem? Or is it even determinable that way? My understanding is that it could just cut out at any time.

Either way I'll probably just get it fixed as quickly as I can.

Thanks again.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:28 PM

jw about the intake, because mine never ran bad, i put an AEM intake on mine and a few thousand miles after the idle went south.
SO i was just curious if its intakes that make it go bad.
How many miles on the car?
And to my belief, a brand new TB with the sensor should not go bad right way. The reason for them going bad is vibration breaking the solders loose and well lots of miles, i mean thats what i read.
But if you get a new one, just make sure the plug is clean and snug and you should be set.
Good luck