S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Very noticible transmission "scraping"

Old 08-04-2006, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very noticible transmission "scraping"

So I noticed this a few nights ago (usually have my stereo on quite loud so I haven't noticed it before) and whenever I shift from say 4th-put it in the 3rd gate and down into 2nd (safe skip-shift) I always here a very loud (with no music on) kind of scraping sound coming from the bottom end transmission area.

I looked at my RPM's and noticed it happened around 4000 and lasted until it got below 2000.

Do any of you guys have any ideas of what it could be? I changed my tranny fluid about a month and a half ago with GM Syncromesh (from HTG). I'm worried about it being a clutch as my car has just broken the 66000 mile mark.

Thanks in advance!

-Aaron
Old 08-05-2006, 01:57 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

So when you go from 4th to 3rd to 2nd you have the clutch disengaged and when you are in 2nd gear you engage the clutch?
And then you hear the sound?

Lets say you are in 3rd, accelerate a bit and let go off the throttle (no shifting, don't touch the clutch)
Do you hear "the sound" too?
If so it could be "clutch buzz".
That is just a sound the clutch plate is generating and no real mechanical problem.

What do you mean by bottom end of your transmission?
Engine side or prop shaft side?
Sitting in your car driving it that would be hard to determine as you are sitting next to the transmission and there are many noises.

The way I understand your problem I would say your clutch is getting thin and when you shift down into a lower gear (and engine brake) the clutch gives a bit.

That said you should also notice the (thin) clutch slipping a bit while accelarating hard in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.

Btw... 66000 miles on 1 clutch isn't that bad in a 240 HP sportscar

Please keep in mind it is VERY hard (if not impossible) to properly diagnose "sounds and noises, etc" over the internet.

Let us know what you find
Old 08-05-2006, 08:44 PM

It's not the clutch buzz.. I know what that is.. and it's a pain in the ass .

Lets see.. it sounds as if you were to take metal and scrape it against the concrete.. only it's not continuous.. it pulsates.

My cltuch doesn't slip at all I've done slip tests in the past.

Okay.. I dont' know if it's coming from the tranny its self.. but it is deffinately coming from the bottom front of the car. you can only hear it when it's echoing off of something (ie. trees or cars).

The reason I'm worried is because I don't want to have to replace the clutch right now if I have to.. I have other plans for it at this time. And I would do it in Auto shop at school with my teacher.. but don't really want to take the time right away to do so.

Thanks for your reply!

-Aaron
Old 08-05-2006, 10:06 PM

I have a similar noise as you, I really hear it in bridges and concrete barriers.

I only noticed it after I started modding my car, so I naturally attributed it to my header/exhaust.

BTW, I have 32K on my clutch, with no slipping.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:10 PM

Hmm.. Bump for some answers please! Thanks for the support!

Edit:

I have Intake (V2) and Exhaust (espelir)
Old 08-05-2006, 10:54 PM

clutch spring?

did you step on your gas pedal from 4k rpm to 2k rpm..

or you fully release?

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...pic=360829&hl=

i would like to know as well...
Old 08-05-2006, 11:01 PM

I call it a retards blip. Since I can't blip properly (with the heel-toe) I just blip the throttle.. I guess this is considered rev-matching.. While the clutch is engaged I give it a quick throttle so I don't have the "jerk" sensation of the clutch engaging and that's when the noise starts..

And I read through all the posts.. I can't tell what noise he's talking about to relate it to mine.. but my noise is also at a higher RPM..
Old 08-06-2006, 11:31 AM

Update: So I was listening today.. and it also happens when I'm doing a quick upshift what I let out the clutch and shift violently (i guess you can say) it does the scraping too..

Could I be low on tranny fluid? I changed it no less then 2 months ago but maybe I didn't put enough in?
Old 08-06-2006, 04:16 PM

This may be simpler than what you are looking for, but if a friend told me that I'd say recheck your exhaust install. A loose bolt/connection will appear when the exhaust/engine resonates the most, right around 3-4k in most 4 cylinder engines. Rattling and scraping are often one in the same to the untrained ear. Now if you can feel the scratching clearly through the shifter, that's a different story.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:42 PM

Hmmm... Good point. When school starts up and I have access to a lift, I'll check all the bolts/hangers.

Thanks for the reply! Makes a lot of sense since you are right.. It's not coming from the shifter.. I just hear it, don't feel it.

Any other ideas anyone?

Quick Reply: Very noticible transmission "scraping"