S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Very Loud Bang

Old 06-17-2002, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems that this has to be a backfire problem. Odd though, I wonder what would cause it on so many cars. I've also found on other boards that this has happened to other people as well. Maybe it's some kind of fuel delivery problem, but it doesn't seem severe at all. I can't believe it's happened to so many other people.
Old 06-17-2002, 10:49 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmmm... Nothing sooo significant as thinking my rear diff blew or something, but I had my S back fire on me last week. It was obvious to me that the sound was not "normal"...and yet it was hard to call it a back fire for sure. Whatever it was, there was no issue with the car again (thus far) and I'd go with back fire as the culprit. High humidity & High temps (and I think I was still running out a 1/2 tank of "oops, damn, wrong octane!" gas in the tank) -- all adds up to a back fire candidate. At least for me.

Glad to see this thread tho' -- if I ever hear my S sound as though a boulder hit the back end, I'll be sure not to overly freak...just a "normal" freak outta do!. Thanks!
Old 06-17-2002, 04:14 PM

no no, i don't think was a backfire at all. it was the second time this happened to me, i'm starting to begin to get worried. my integra used to backfire all the time and it didn't sound like this at all.
Old 06-17-2002, 05:20 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 315 Likes on 149 Posts

Gentlemen, I'm seeing a common thread, and to me the problem is clear: why are you only driving at 60 or 70 on the freeway?!? You need to get that baby up to 90 and stretch her legs!
Old 06-18-2002, 08:30 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by twohoos
[B]Gentlemen, I'm seeing a common thread, and to me the problem is clear: why are you only driving at 60 or 70 on the freeway?!?
Old 06-18-2002, 11:09 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

This is quite a common occurance. Most of us already know that we get "big bang" for the buck on this car.
Old 01-27-2003, 10:45 PM

Old 01-28-2003, 04:24 AM

In my previous black s2k RIP I was driving along one night with the top down when I heard a loud bang. I immediately pulled over and inspected the car. Turns out some d!ck head had thrown a brick at me and narrowly avoided taking my head off. It left a pretty good dent in the trunk.

About a year and a half later I was driving along in my silver s2k and I heard tick, tick, tick and then boom. My engine blew up.

Haven't had much luck with s2k's.
Old 02-23-2004, 05:33 AM

Had the same noise that everyone is speaking of happen this morning. Like everyone else, at first I assumed it was this old Corolla in front of me, but then it happened again, only not as loud.

Has anyone followed up on this problem, or did the noise never happen again, so you all forgot about it? I just want to make sure it is not necessary to take the car into the shop.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:43 AM

Not to me, but if it was under warranty it would be at the dealer up on the lift. Could it be a broken half shaft? And she keeps going because there is power going down to one wheel still? Just hypothesizing. Also, haven't been under my car yet, so I don't know if they are exposed or not? Anybody? If they are you'd be getting more noise then just a loud bang then nothing.

Jim

Quick Reply: Very Loud Bang