S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Very Clean Intake Valves after 60k Miles

Old 05-15-2012, 08:58 AM

Received 248 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by s2klariat
Originally Posted by rrounds' timestamp='1336936462' post='21694546
Those look excellent. If you want the exhaust valves, piston's and the combustion chambers to look just as clean, try a little water in the intake. I use my kids squirt gun(battery powered) to squirt water in the intake with the engine running, just like water injection.(LOL) It works very good to clean the deposits that form over time.

ROD
I would not recommend this at all.
Have you not ever heard of water injection?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_injection_(engines)
It doesn't take much water, I mean you don't want to take a hose and just turn it on. Like anything if your don't know what or how to do something, find out first on how to do it right so you don't hurt your engine or what ever your working on.
It has been around for over 70 years in air plains and auto racing. On our drag motor we would take a glass of water(about 4 oz.) and pour it down the carb with the engine running to keep everything clean. When we took it apart(twice a year) everything that the water touched was clean with no deposits, the top of the pistons, combustion chambers, valves and header. Just ask someone that has water injection on their FI engine if when they took the head off how clean it was.

ROD
Old 05-16-2012, 10:21 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

How much deposits would clean air produce?
And after the injectors there is a vaporized solvent (fuel) in the air stream, cleaning it all.

I would look into the crank case ventilation system if the intake was dirty.

IMO fuel additives do their thing in the fuel system, like injectors or pump, and during combustion.
Not so much in the intake itself.

Btw.. my intake was also spotless after 145k km.
Even with a K&N drop-in.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:34 AM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Originally Posted by starchland
cool but is there a picture of non shell treated valves for comparo?
I've seen valves on my Honda Civic SiR that had less mileage and they had some crusty black deposits on them, pretty much what you see on most valves, which is normal I think. I was surprised to see the valves on this engine totally free of deposits and just bare metal. Not a scientific comparison but yeah my post was to see if others had pictures of theri valves for comparison purposes to see if other S2k's are like this or if they are different.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by SpitfireS
How much deposits would clean air produce?
And after the injectors there is a vaporized solvent (fuel) in the air stream, cleaning it all.

I would look into the crank case ventilation system if the intake was dirty.

IMO fuel additives do their thing in the fuel system, like injectors or pump, and during combustion.
Not so much in the intake itself.

Btw.. my intake was also spotless after 145k km.
Even with a K&N drop-in.

I think most of the deposits come from the pcv system and clinging onto the intake manifold and possibly baking themselves onto the intake valves. If the spray pattern of the injectors is straight enough it could be sufficient to keep the backs of the valves clean. My manifold is going to need some cleaning though it has deposits in it before the injectors.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rrounds
Originally Posted by s2klariat' timestamp='1337039001' post='21698150
[quote name='rrounds' timestamp='1336936462' post='21694546']
Those look excellent. If you want the exhaust valves, piston's and the combustion chambers to look just as clean, try a little water in the intake. I use my kids squirt gun(battery powered) to squirt water in the intake with the engine running, just like water injection.(LOL) It works very good to clean the deposits that form over time.

ROD
I would not recommend this at all.
Have you not ever heard of water injection?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_injection_(engines)
It doesn't take much water, I mean you don't want to take a hose and just turn it on. Like anything if your don't know what or how to do something, find out first on how to do it right so you don't hurt your engine or what ever your working on.
It has been around for over 70 years in air plains and auto racing. On our drag motor we would take a glass of water(about 4 oz.) and pour it down the carb with the engine running to keep everything clean. When we took it apart(twice a year) everything that the water touched was clean with no deposits, the top of the pistons, combustion chambers, valves and header. Just ask someone that has water injection on their FI engine if when they took the head off how clean it was.

ROD
[/quote]

Yes I've heard of water injection/meth injection. I'm not ignorant when it comes to engines. I just don't believe it's a good idea to post spraying water into your throttle body to clean the engine over the internet where information can be easily misunderstood. I can just see it now, "Used water to clean engine, now it won't turn over". I agree it can be useful I just think using a "squirt gun" is a poor method. FI motors that use water injection are also paired with some sort of engine management to regulate a safe amount of water. Taking your 5 year old's super soaker and blasting it into your intake manifold is just asking for trouble. Too much room for error.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:57 AM

No way for a squirt gun can put enough water in the engine to hydro-lock a piston. I'm not using the water to get me more power(increase timing) I'm using it to clean the engine from deposits. Like I said in the other post, IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING-DON'T DO IT.

ROD
Old 05-17-2012, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked up a bottle of the Redline SI-1. Should I empty the whole bottle in a tank of gas or should I do a little bit at a time over the course of 5 tanks or so? Anything I should know about like changing the oil immediately after?
Old 05-17-2012, 03:46 PM

Why would you need to change the oil? You put it in the gas tank, if it makes it's way to the oil you have bigger problems.

From the Redline web site

Use one bottle per tank for most effective treatment of neglected vehicle
Also use in smaller doses for maintenance as one bottle treats up to 100 gallons
Safe for continual use

ROD
Old 05-17-2012, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just so you know, I've read other threads on this site and they mentioned something about blow by.

Read through this thread....

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/493...ector-cleaner/

Good info from Slipstream
Old 05-17-2012, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by redwing497
I just picked up a bottle of the Redline SI-1. Should I empty the whole bottle in a tank of gas or should I do a little bit at a time over the course of 5 tanks or so? Anything I should know about like changing the oil immediately after?
On some of the older bottles they used to have dosing information and based on that one bottle was enough to treat 2 fuel tanks based on the size the small S2k tank. So I use a 1/2 bottle per tank twice a year ( two treatments) , so one bottle a year.

Quick Reply: Very Clean Intake Valves after 60k Miles