S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

VErsion 2 Toda cams

Old 10-29-2004, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by beroznikmal,Oct 29 2004, 01:11 PM
Yaya ... that is what everyone says when they spend so much on cams.... dyno the car and check if you feelings concur with your number..... but even before that do you have a base dyno of what the numbers were before the cam install????
The reason for the post was firstly to reassure those that have had the "lobe" disintegrate with the Mk 1's (if you want to call them that) that so far mine show no wear at all and hopefully wont do and secondly that with my "individual" setup it works well.

No, I have no base line before and that
Old 10-29-2004, 09:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=biker1,Oct 29 2004, 10:45 AM] Why is there so much importance on what the dyno says? if its quicker its quicker, surly at the end of the day your looking for a vehicle with more "grunt" and after doing certain tuning applications you don
Old 10-29-2004, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by mxt_77,Oct 29 2004, 05:53 PM
I put importance on the dyno because it is more accurate than my butt-dyno. It shows if I am actually gaining or losing power, and exactly where those gains/losses are. It can't be misled into believing that my car is faster just because my wallet is lighter.

I find that the "seat of the pants feel" doesn't work for me, because sometimes I can be fooled by certain feelings. Example: The Toda cams have a "bulge" in the torque curve in the mid-range. However, lets say that they were installed improperly such that the entire curve still has that bulge, but it's still below the stock numbers. The mid-range surge may still feel very strong leading you to think that the cams are making power, but the actual numbers may be below the stock cams.

It's possible that with your experience, maybe your butt-dyno is more accurate and consistent than mine, but there's still the possibility that the car just "feels" faster. I'd rather see somewhat scientific measurements that can back that up. I'm not trying to discount your experience or knowledge... I just like to see "facts", so to speak.
I appreciate what you say and yes the dyno can show you losses and gains, I suppose I have the advantage being able to do back to back comparisons with other S2000's with various stages of tune that enables me to "feel" the differences at different stages.

When you can compare in that way there is really no point in dyno testing the car imo as the total awareness of the change is evident.

I hope you get to the bottom of the problem, I'll be watching with interest.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Biker,

Your views on the non-importance of dyno testing really takes away from your credibility on the subject IMO. When you are tuning for a gain of hopefully 5%, you would be crazy to go by "seat of the pants". The variations in ambient temperature, fuel levels, tire sizes, wind direction and speed, incline of the road, overall vehicle and driver weight will make WAY more than a 5% difference in feel.

MXT reduced the weight of his car by at least 50 lbs with his recent mods, which would "feel" like an additional 4 HP by itself.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:13 PM

Dude if your feeling were that great u would be a millionaire........ I would seriously stop saying u can feel the difference between mod cause its all phycological...... come on now.... BTW did you take into account the ambient temp of when you felt the difference.... how about your weight or the amount of gas you had in your tank... oh ya I forgot.. that was all taken into account when you FELT THE DIFFERENCE... Now go away and till you realize that you cannot measure gains by what you feel please stop posting....... cause I really like this forum and people like you make me wanna hate it......
Old 10-29-2004, 03:48 PM

mxt_77:
are you suggesting if I install cams again they might make a difference in performance? I don't feel loss in power, but I don't feel gain either, but again, I haven't had it dynoed yet. I am beginning to feel this is a bad investment.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:11 PM

I can feel the difference on my butt dyno when I drop that 5lbs from yesterdays junk food fest. The pull in the low and mid range is amazing.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by revto9k,Oct 29 2004, 06:48 PM
mxt_77:
are you suggesting if I install cams again they might make a difference in performance?
Nope... I'm not suggesting anything. I don't know what cams are in your car now, and which cams you're saying that you are going to install. If you plan to swap cams, I definitely recommend a before/after dyno so you can see the results.

I am confident that I lost power when I installed the Toda cams. I put the stock cams in and plan to get a new dyno chart to confirm my suspicions. Once I have verified that, I'll have to decide if I want to continue trying to troubleshoot the cams, or if I just want to use 'em as doorstops.

All I know is:
1) The original set of Toda camshafts that I had made about 5-8hp over stock, with impressive gains in the mid-range (all this with the stock I/H/E and no fuel tuning).
2) The original set of Toda camshafts had the lobe tips disintegrate.
3) I removed the original Toda cams and replaced them with the "updated" Toda cams.
4) With the "updated" cams, I'm making 10hp less than I was with the original Toda cams.

The interesting thing is that the torque curve between the two are almost parallel (the new ones appear to have the torque curve shifted slightly upward in the RPM range)... even the A/F ratio is almost identical.

new vs old torque curves & AF ratios:
Old 10-29-2004, 08:28 PM

by updated you mean the silver ones?
Old 10-30-2004, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by revto9k,Oct 29 2004, 11:28 PM
by updated you mean the silver ones?
Yes. My "original" cams were black (Parkerized). The "updated" ones are all silver. They were both supposed to be Spec A v2 cams, so they should both have the same profiles.

Quick Reply: VErsion 2 Toda cams