S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

VErsion 2 Toda cams

Old 10-28-2004, 01:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by beroznikmal,Oct 28 2004, 03:22 PM
Bottom line is TODA USA SUCKS ASS..... I will never use their product again ever.... give it to me for free, Ill take it and use it for paper weight.....

BTW, I thinks u missed Wantone.....
I don't think you can just say that Toda sucks. The original set of cams that I had (once the valve clearances were adjusted properly) made 6-8hp, pretty much from 5K to redline, with the stock intake, header & exhaust. Of course... that set eventually grenaded on me, but they were good while they lasted.

Now, I have a second set which are supposed to have a better manufacturing process (i.e., no more sheared lobe tips), and are supposed to also have the same cam profile as the originals... but they are losing power. All I want to understand is "Why?". Toda talks about "3 degrees of play in the keyway", but I think everyone will agree that there is no play there. I'm just trying to determine what else could be mis-adjusted or installed improperly.

I didn't realize wantone had the Toda cams... I must've missed that post. What were his results?
Old 10-28-2004, 01:29 PM
Former Moderator

I think Toda is smoking crack when they say there is "3 degrees of play in the keyway". I've had mine apart a few times and there isn't any play there at all.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mxt_77,Oct 28 2004, 05:05 PM
Toda talks about "3 degrees of play in the keyway"
Old 10-28-2004, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by mxt_77,Oct 28 2004, 01:51 PM
Cam gears are just a crutch. The cams themselves should make proper power without needing cam gears, assuming they are installed correctly. Also, an EMS will definitely unleash more power, but it shouldn't be required to make power. The VAFC helps just by leaning out the mixture where the stock ECU still runs a bit rich.
While we all would hope that spending 1100 dollars on aftermarket camshafts would incrase power, it unfortunately does not work that way all the time. Each car is different and will respond differently to mods. You can't just drop cams into your car and expect it to make more power than stock cams when you are using stock fuel and timing maps for aftermarket cams. I'm sure the VAFC is better than nothing, but i think its pretty evident why people aren't getting great gains with these cams (or even losses for that matter). It all lies in the ECU. I personally think Toda should state that it is a requirement to get a standalone and cam pulleys with their Toda A's. No point in getting cams if you can't fully tune them.

Old 10-28-2004, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by StinkyTofu,Oct 28 2004, 06:42 PM
While we all would hope <snip to save bandwidth>....
You're missing my point. I have had a set of Toda Spec A v2s installed before on an otherwise stock car (stock intake, header, exhaust, ECU)... and it made power!!!

My question is: Why are the cams that I have installed right now not making power? They're supposed to be the same cam profile that I had before, yet for some reason I am losing power with them instead of gaining power.

I understand that in order to maximize power from cams you sometimes (almost always) need to adjust the fuel and/or timing maps. However, I know from previous experience that these cams should make power without any modifications to the stock ECU. All I'm trying to figure out is why are these cams not making power when my previous (supposedly identical) set did make power.
Old 10-28-2004, 06:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE=StinkyTofu,Oct 28 2004, 06:42 PM] While we all would hope that spending 1100 dollars on aftermarket camshafts would incrase power, it unfortunately does not work that way all the time.
Old 10-28-2004, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by mxt_77,Oct 28 2004, 07:02 PM
My question is: Why are the cams that I have installed right now not making power? They're supposed to be the same cam profile that I had before, yet for some reason I am losing power with them instead of gaining power.
Sorry for misunderstanding your point.

To stay on topic and to help find an answer for you:

Maybe when your cams broke on you, you slightly bent some valves. Have you ever pulled to head to see if your valves were bent? Sometimes they might not look like it, but if you take the valve out and use it as a drill bit in a driller and spin it, its very obvious if you've bent the valve or not.
Old 10-28-2004, 06:56 PM

How would the valves bend from the cams chipping? The valves bottom out at the seat before the cam profile is no longer touching it. Having less material wont do that at all.
Old 10-28-2004, 07:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by StinkyTofu,Oct 28 2004, 09:52 PM
Sorry for misunderstanding your point.

To stay on topic and to help find an answer for you:

Maybe when your cams broke on you, you slightly bent some valves. Have you ever pulled to head to see if your valves were bent? Sometimes they might not look like it, but if you take the valve out and use it as a drill bit in a driller and spin it, its very obvious if you've bent the valve or not.
What a waste of keyboard longevity.
Old 10-28-2004, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by kane.s2k,Oct 28 2004, 07:56 PM
How would the valves bend from the cams chipping? The valves bottom out at the seat before the cam profile is no longer touching it. Having less material wont do that at all.
? I didn't know the cams chipped. I thought maybe they snapped in half or something. Sorry i don't have time to read through 18 pages of this thread.

Quick Reply: VErsion 2 Toda cams