S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

VErsion 2 Toda cams

Old 05-24-2003, 08:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was taking to the Toda guys and they told me that Mr. Toda himself has an S and he is the one who has been pushing for the better cam (version 2). They also informed me that the cams are designed for street use and are not race cams. Longevity of the engine was taken into account when the cams were designed. One of Mr Todas request.
Also, the only difference between the spec 1 and the spec 2 is the hi cams (vtec cams), lift and duration of the lobes have been optimized, more aggressive. The lo cams are the same as the original spec 1 cams. Expect to see similar curves to the spec 1 cams before vtec but way more satisfying gains after vtec.
I think it is also worth mentioning that if emissions is an issue, you might want to reconsider the cams.

Beroz
Old 05-24-2003, 09:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thank you for the info, Beroz
I think I will leave them alone as i feel a bit unsafe running leaner with the Mugen ECU already.
Old 05-24-2003, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Phi is correct... I meant that aside from stroking the engine and increasing displacement, you won't get any higher gains than if you built the internals... bolt-ons add very little, cams add quite a bit

Beroz, that's great info, thank you! If they are a street type, then idle will be fine, you just need ecu tuning...
Vetc won't save you from a rough idle after installing aftermarket product that the system wasn't built around.... I myself wanted a set of Spoon Race cams... but I think without proper reinforcement, either the car or myself would have shaken apart...
Old 05-24-2003, 11:41 AM

2003spa2000,
Sorry for misunderstanding you ...Yet another reason why drinking is bad for you...hangovers really don't help
As far as the spoon cams go, I myself was very interested in them I was going for the cams, gasket and value setup. But unfortunately the cams may not exist. I have a contact in Japan that tells me the cam do exist but take 5 -6 weeks to make. Because of the money involved and because I have not had any previous transactions with the company I was inclined not to proceed with the purchase. I guess the only way to find out is to visit Spoon.....Anyone?
I do however still plan to go with the Toda cams and the Spoon valves.. The values are supposed to be lighter and stronger than the stock valves (quote from AJ pwr).....

Beroz
Old 05-24-2003, 11:43 AM
Former Moderator

Originally posted by 2003spa2000
I myself wanted a set of Spoon Race cams... but I think without proper reinforcement, either the car or myself would have shaken apart...
You would have been fine with the Spoon Race Cams for the S2000. Since they don't exist you wouldn't have harmed anything.
Old 05-24-2003, 10:31 PM

They actually do exist, but they are not for sale to the general public... When I was working on a deal with opak racing to become a distributor, they said I would have the opportunity to purchase the race cams, etc. for the show car... Spoon is a racing company, thus they would produce such items... The problem being is that they are not built for street driving, so what would be the point of spending the money producing a large quantity if people wouldn't be able to comfortably run them on their cars... I am curious to know why you believe they do not exist?
Old 05-25-2003, 01:54 AM

Originally posted by beroznikmal
I think it is also worth mentioning that if emissions is an issue, you might want to reconsider the cams.
Just a thought, since the aggressive part of the cam is after VTEC, I don't think this would be much of an issue since most smog places don't rev the engine that high. I'm not stating this as a fact but rather an observation since I don't know anyone who's done a smog check with aftermarket cams for this car.

Anyone with experience know if this is true or not?
Old 05-25-2003, 02:55 AM
Former Moderator

Originally posted by 2003spa2000
I am curious to know why you believe they do not exist?
Because unless it's a very new thing they don't. Having been on this board since day one. Having had every authorized distributor state that Spoon has told them that they were in development and then decided to scratch the idea. Everyone of the sponsors on this board has tried to get them and everyone was told they don't exist yet. Many jumped the gun and offered GBs, hell some folks even posted it on their website, only to find out that it isn't available. Spoon might be a racing company but they hardly produce anything on their own. Everything is outsourced from different companies.
Old 05-25-2003, 05:25 AM

The non vtec lobe of the Toda's is already pretty aggressive compared to the stock setup. Whether or not the cams will be an issue during smog test can probably be answered by peep who have the 1st version of the cams. Generally, when buying aftermarket cam emissions of a vehicle is usually effected. I guess what I was trying to say was, emission was not a concern when the cams were designed.

As for the Spoon cam.. Who really knows, People in Japan that I've talked to say it does exist. People over here say other wise. It could be that the cams were only intended to be used in the JDM market ( or maybe not). It could be the people I've been talking to are just plain old crazy. Maybe our members from Asia could check it out, Taiwan is fairly close. I suspect a phone call to spoon shouldn't be to much of a hassle. But for now until one of us owns one, lets just place those cams in the C.S (chicken Shit) file.

Beroz
Old 05-25-2003, 09:43 AM

Dan, fair enough... Despite what I've been told by the sole importer to the United States, I suppose it is possible, though unlikely, that they were confused... From what I was told about the "idea being scrapped," it was not discarded, but put aside so more attention could be payed to the K20 platform... I'm not really looking for debate, so I won't comment again on this issue...
C.S. file??!! Okay, I'll let it go... I l know someone down here in FL with the version 1 cams, but since we don't have smog testing, so I don't think he'll know until he gets his car dyno'ed or has some ecu tuning done.. I'll see if he will be going in soon... I'm kinda surprised he hasn't chimed in by now....

Quick Reply: VErsion 2 Toda cams