S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Valvle tapping, two taps in a second at idle

Old 02-02-2007, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea another thing people don't often realize is this...you have a honda engine..when the car is cold the piston walls are not fully expanded since they are cold...i've noticed you can literally hear piston slap when this car is cold until about 5 minutes of driving AFTER it hits 3 bars...like the post above me says just cuz the water temp is at three bars doesn't mean the oil temp or the internal engine parts are. also when its at three bar's i've heard that the start of three bar's and until it hits 4 bars is like a 50F degree spread or something crazy like that...point is the temp gauge IS NOT ACCURATE. back to piston slap...i've noticed it a lot since its cold and this is my understanding of what causes it. the cylinder walls are cold and there is more room between the wall and the piston causing a slight sound until it gets warmed up and the piston expands closing the gap...i can hear it on my car until like i said 3-5 minutes of driving after it reaches 3 bars on the temp gauge...what the OP probably did was wait until the vtec idiot cutoff got disabled when he hit 3 bars...and with the cylinder walls still not expanded correctly start reving it up....depending on how bad the piston slap is it could have scratched the living crap out of the cylinder wall... dood when i first got the car i did the same crap(omfg i feel so lucky)..didn't realize how much cold weather can afffect a car that rev's to 9k rpm...trust me though i don't go over 4k rpm until its well after hitting 3 bars now since i found this out.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:32 PM

So the sound in the video? It just sounds like that or it works its way up to that when it get worse? I hate the these sound threads, they get me all parinoid about my car.Lol
Good luck
Old 02-06-2007, 07:35 AM

The sound was pretty similar than the video one.

The sound appeared as this just after making a couple of 7.5K shifts with three bars just lighted.

There was no other sound before this happened.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:56 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

There is no Rule on how his Happends...
I Drove my SC Car like Mad did a 276kmh Run and nothing,,,,
I drove it Cold,...Ect,ect....Anyway its a honda...Honda never fails....
I changed Oil to Mobil 1 10-30w. From USA and after Few days The car No.1 Cylinder died...maybe after 500km? Oil level was Still fine at the time i took the motor Out....
So ?? you can say its the oil? I dont know but i suspect it...I have been driving Fuchs GT 0-20w for many Km and 3-4 oil changes with teh same and no Problem...I could say the car liked the oil and mad the Engine More Rev Happy.Definetly big +++ oil for me.
I went on the highway to see Motorcycles Race i did a 220kmh for few seconds and than drove it 150kmh few km and stopped at the highway to watch the races....i returned home and the car was clicking...Who is to say what happend...My mechanic Said it Suffered Overheat problem and i wonder how? 3 bars also...I know that there is a small honda problem with the BARS on the S2000 since the first 3 are always on and the 4th one is so far away in the temp scale if it ever would have come on the ENGINE would be dead for sure....
the thing is ...Why did it overheat? I had my car NA till 42000km and it happend after i had it SC for 5000km at 46900.
By the way my car has Mugen cooling mods so The fans Kick in so early and i have a Oil temp and Pressure meter now and i can see that my oil now never goes to 100C its around 65-80 all the time.,. i supose the mugen Termo and switch since they kick in at 60+c ....
So how could it overheated? Cold Cooling System backed by Mugen Items?
I didnt have the Gauges than so icouldnt say what was the oil temp.
I got a New Engine from Honda and i paid 2700 euro for it total...It was around 3050euro regular. And i SC from day one and i didnt Brake the engine In I just drove it slow for 50km and than its has been working full on from that point.And now my car Burns less fuel than before..it used to drink 1 liter per 1000km now it has normal 2-400ml at 1000km. also i put Full synt oil from new. I am on Motul now,
I think that honda MY00 engines tend to fail...I think what ever it was for them to fail it was sorted with the newer Versions of the Shortblock...
It seems that The MY 00 S2000 only takes time to fail if it ever fails or it migh never happend. But i wouldnt suspect that it is that you drove the car in Vtec when it was Cold... No way. Dont worry about that ,car has lot more Oil Pressure than (-cold) and has no Coolant high temp so everything is Normal.this happends when the Piston Overheats and the Skirts Hit the Cylinder Banks from heat expand...Honda motors are Normaly Running hot but who can tell you why that Piston Overheated?
by the way since Honda Engines Run Hot Honda Knows this and leaves a tolerance to counter measure this -this oil consumption...ut what happend to us must have been some serious Heat....serious heat.,...
Cheers.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:31 AM

Thanks for your reply stena. My car is almost ready and I'm with you about there is something wrong with this MY00 engines.

Weeks after my problem, I saw some green-liquid dirt around a coolant wire. And when rebuilding, they notice the head gasket burned and a valve too.

Let's see what happen now...
Old 04-27-2007, 09:22 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 316 Likes on 149 Posts

Just noticed this thread -- countach, sounds like the classic #4 cylinder failure. Typical cause is continuous, extended running (10+ minutes?) at very high rpm (VTEC), on a 2000-02 motor. (It is NOT related to an overrev.) In the Netherlands in 2002, Honda issued a recall of the oil jet "banjo" bolts (combined with the spark plug seating issue):

English translation provided by an old S2Ki poster:

Concerning: Modification S2000

Dear Sir, Madam,

Quality assurance is for Honda always an element to guarantee optimal quality and durability of her products. However during one of our quality improvement activities Honda found out about problems that could occur with Honda S2000 engines.

Under certain driving circumstances there can be insufficient lubrication and cooling of the headers in the engine. The result can be damage to the engine. There can also be a loss of power due to spark plugs which are loose in the cylinder head because of the choice of the material in the spark plug seating (not sure about this translation). Possibly you car with license plate XX-XX-XX is affected. To prevent the problem the factory has made a change in the lubrication system of the engine and the spark plug seating material. A number of holes have been made in the oil passing bolts which lubricate the cylinder wall.

We request kindly - preferably on short term - to contact your official Honda dealer for an appointment so your car can be modified. We also ask you to show this letter to your dealer.

This modification is of course free of charge. We estimate the dealer needs the car for one day for the modification. If you want more information regarding this subject like the exact time needed for this check, contact your dealer.

We thank you politely for your cooperation and we send our apologies upfront about any inconveniences this action has for you.

Kind regards,
Honda Netherlands B.V.
To my knowledge, Honda did not offer a recall in any other market, although they stopped using the old-style oil jet bolts. Those of us worried about the issue just ordered the new bolts and installed them ourselves:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=102067