S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Valvle tapping, two taps in a second at idle

Old 01-31-2007, 01:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, why does a F20C scuff its bores? or why did it do so in this specific incident?
Old 01-31-2007, 02:50 AM

It seems to be extremely important the level and quality of oil. The 15K km (9.3K miles) changing interval suggested by Honda is too wide if you sometimes hit a point over VTEC...

In my case, having no S/C, my oil was changed 8K miles ago, and the level was around the low mark. Never raced or abused, indeed.

Ok, this is not the ideal scenario but... not as worst that could cause the destruction of the engine. In any other car in the world this WONT be seem to be a extreme risk for the engine.

Ok, in S2000 is. It's sad.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by countach,Jan 31 2007, 12:50 PM
It seems to be extremely important the level and quality of oil. The 15K km (9.3K miles) changing interval suggested by Honda is too wide if you sometimes hit a point over VTEC...

In my case, having no S/C, my oil was changed 8K miles ago, and the level was around the low mark. Never raced or abused, indeed.

Ok, this is not the ideal scenario but... not as worst that could cause the destruction of the engine. In any other car in the world this WONT be seem to be a extreme risk for the engine.

Ok, in S2000 is. It's sad.
other cars in the world does not rev up to 9000 with 5 year warranty
Old 01-31-2007, 03:06 AM

Yep, a quite well calculated timeline. Mine, at the seventh, died. I wonder how many early cars will last longer...
Old 01-31-2007, 05:54 AM

could it be caused by revving the car too soon.

I get 3 bars after 2-3 miles of driving but only rev it over 3000 rpm after 6 miles and over 6000 rpm after about 8-10 miles just to be sure everything (including the oil) has a good temperature.

oil takes a lot longer to heat up than the cooling water does.

just my 2 cents
Old 01-31-2007, 07:43 AM

kstokell: Thanks for the reply. I remember reading your message just when happened your issue some years ago, and scared me about over-using the car, and always had that in my mind.

Yours had S/C and you had been above 7K rpm for a big bunch of time as far as I remember, a very different scenario than mine...

Well, I still love the car, and when fixed I'll have a fresh engine restart, I don't know if I'll feel as confident about the reliability as before...

shrek: I'm agree with you about having revving too soon. For sure this was one of the reasons among the low and maybe degraded oil ...

But, I only shifted at 7.5 - 8K a couple of times, only this, not more; if this is risk to destroy the engine..., even in cold... it makes you think.

Edit: Fix the nick references.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:33 AM

You need to keep the oil full at all times.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by countach,Jan 31 2007, 08:43 AM
shrek: Thanks for the reply. I remember reading your message just when happened your issue some years ago, and scared me about over-using the car, and always had that in my mind.

I'm agree with you about having revving too soon. For sure this was one of the reasons among the low and maybe degraded oil ...

But, I only shifted at 7.5 - 8K a couple of times, only this, not more; if this is risk to destroy the engine..., even in cold... it makes you think.

'cause yours had S/C and you had been above 7K rpm for a big bunch of time as far as I remember, a very different scenario than mine...

Well, I still love the car, and when fixed I'll have a fresh engine restart, I don't know if I'll feel as confident about the reliability as before...
I think you mistake me for somebody else

I only have my S for one year and my car is 100 % original. No mods.
until now no engine troubles (knock on wood).
I just wanted to comment to the belief of some people that 3 bars on the car mean the engine has reached its temperature and you can go to 9k. it's better to have some patience and wait till the oil is hot enough

Cold oil is more viscous than oil at 80-100
Old 02-02-2007, 03:54 AM

Oh, sorry!, I just wanted to refer to kstokell. His post is above of yours in the previous page.

With my new engine I will be more careful of course...
Old 02-02-2007, 04:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by countach,Feb 2 2007, 01:54 PM
Oh, sorry!, I just wanted to refer to kstokell. His post is above of yours in the previous page.

With my new engine I will be more careful of course...
and do not forget to put oil in your car and check it, twice every 60.000 miles is not enough...

Quick Reply: Valvle tapping, two taps in a second at idle