S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Valvetrain Noise/Chatter/Tapping

Old 12-11-2014, 06:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Valvetrain Noise/Chatter/Tapping

Hey everyone. I am hoping to get some assistance in diagnosing a valve train noise/issue. This noise came out of nowhere not driving the car hard, just a lot of cold starts/warm up to keep things flowing for a couple months while it was on jack stands. It is not consistent with a bad TCT but of course I'll try it last if nothing else works.

Super tech dual valve springs and retainers, titanium retainers only 900 miles on them. Valve adjustment was just done and is spot on .008/.010" per manual. Stock cams 700whp, stock chain approx 15k miles on it. I cannot visually see anything wrong with the valvesprings or retainers.

It happens cold or hot now and hasn't gotten louder just yet. It used to only happen when hot but now its all the time. I understand that with open turbo inlet and wastegate dump tubes that I'll hear the valvetrain a little more but this is excessive and not what it sounded like before. It used to be dead quiet minus the injector clicking.

I am going to try replacing the lost motion assemblies next since its a cheap/easy replacement. If that doesn't work, at least it will be brand new. Does anyone know if high hp cars effect chain stretch any more than a stock S2000?

http://youtu.be/UfxGfCZK5-s?list=UUw...LKG8TFTjo5tNkg
Old 12-11-2014, 08:05 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SlowSi
Hey everyone. I am hoping to get some assistance in diagnosing a valve train noise/issue. This noise came out of nowhere not driving the car hard, just a lot of cold starts/warm up to keep things flowing for a couple months while it was on jack stands. It is not consistent with a bad TCT but of course I'll try it last if nothing else works.

Super tech dual valve springs and retainers, titanium retainers only 900 miles on them. Valve adjustment was just done and is spot on .008/.010" per manual. Stock cams 700whp, stock chain approx 15k miles on it. I cannot visually see anything wrong with the valvesprings or retainers.

It happens cold or hot now and hasn't gotten louder just yet. It used to only happen when hot but now its all the time. I understand that with open turbo inlet and wastegate dump tubes that I'll hear the valvetrain a little more but this is excessive and not what it sounded like before. It used to be dead quiet minus the injector clicking.

I am going to try replacing the lost motion assemblies next since its a cheap/easy replacement. If that doesn't work, at least it will be brand new. Does anyone know if high hp cars effect chain stretch any more than a stock S2000?

http://youtu.be/UfxGfCZK5-s?list=UUw...LKG8TFTjo5tNkg

Starting the car just to start it is unnecessary wear and is much worse than just letting it sit.

With regards to the noise that sounds like TCT to me, but I am not an expert on the sound like Billman or someone else, so I would wait for their opinion.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:48 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

Are you using a stock head gasket?
Old 12-11-2014, 02:14 PM

Yes stock headgasket. A little back story...

I heard this loud ticking so I did the valve adjustment and apparently I overlooked a tappet adjustment nut and it backed off and the rocker went flapping in the wind for 10 miles and was super loud. I fixed that, checked over valve adjustment again, didnt notice any damage, and now left with a quieter tapping then originally had before messing with anything. In the end, im still left with same noise just not as bad.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:37 AM

I just took apart the entire valvetrain and found nothing. All rollers, rockers, pins, springs, valvesprings, retainers, you name it, all appear to be untouched, tight, and the same as its always been. No signs of cracks, or excessive movement. Hmm....
Old 01-22-2015, 03:10 AM

I replaced the TCT with an upgraded one and still the same noise when engine is cold or hot it doesn't matter. Run thinner oil cause it's cold out?? I don't know at this point. I'm running 15w40 and it DID start once it got really cold so who knows. I'll take any theory at this point.

Billman?