S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Valves replaced, still throwing CEL's

Old 04-14-2010, 05:21 PM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

I am still not buying a bent valve.

I don't think your numbers are bad at all. I think even a leakdown test can be shady if not done correctly.

Unless the valve got stuck in the guide, there's no way you are bending a valve on an AP2, unless you do a TWO gear downshift at WOT.

I say if it runs totally smooth at cruise, never has a FLASHING CEL, and pulls normally, drive it to the dragon. Let me check the valves (and adj if needed), and see where the fuel trim is leaning. I'll even bring a bunch of coil packs to swap out if need, to try and chase down the shady cyl.

I can also tell you, misfire codes are not an exact science.

I can tell you right now if they pull the head, it is highly unlikely you will have the car back for the dragon.

I stand strongly about the valves.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:22 PM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 2,876 Likes on 2,085 Posts

$3k is a lot more than what they are charging me, but I'm sure that varies. The injectors still concern me, especially since the fuel additive was what ended up clearing the code in the fall.
Both dealers checked the injectors this time, but my issue was only at idle, nowhere else in the power band suffered. I'll guess I'll just have to see what happens when I get it back.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:28 PM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Billman250,Apr 14 2010, 09:21 PM

I don't think your numbers are bad at all. I think even a leakdown test can be shady if not done correctly.

Unless the valve got stuck in the guide, there's no way you are bending a valve on an AP2, unless you do a TWO gear downshift at WOT.

I say if it runs totally smooth at cruise, never has a FLASHING CEL, and pulls normally, drive it to the dragon. Let me check the valves (and adj if needed), and see where the fuel trim is leaning. I'll even bring a bunch of coil packs to swap out if need, to try and chase down the shady cyl.

I can also tell you, misfire codes are not an exact science.

I can tell you right now if they pull the head, it is highly unlikely you will have the car back for the dragon.

I stand strongly about the valves.
It's already getting done, I should have the car back on Friday or Monday, the parts showed up this morning at the dealer.

I'm more than happy to let you take a look at the car next week, I'll also bring the old parts with me for you to look at.

I appreciate your help with all this.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having random misfires on all 4 cyls (see my thread below here) and I'll be at the dragon. I would love to buy you a beer (or several) for an educated look at my issue, if a new knock sensor doesn't fix it tomorrow.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:07 PM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Billman250,Apr 14 2010, 09:21 PM
Confirmed this afternoon, bent exhaust valve, he's going to show it to me and I'll bring it with me to the dragon.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:47 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Other than the lumpy idle and CELs was there any other signs that you had a bent valve? Usually there is a ticking of some sort, although on these engines I suppose it may be hard to pick out a ticking, when the whole damn thing ticks.

Is it possible that the bent valve could have been some how fouling up the injector and causing a CEL? This may explain why the CEL went away when injector cleaner was added.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:15 PM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

On the Sunday before I took the car in I noticed what I would refer to as valve chatter, but I'm not entirely sure what it was.

No, no other signs whatsoever, the car ran fine under load, it was only noticeable at idle. I am somewhat relieved that they found a bent valve, I just now hope nothing else is wrong. I'm still confused as to why the fuel additive took away the original CEL after the initial valve adjustment.

Weird.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:24 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

I wish I could have made it to the Mod-day. My S seems to have a good amount of strange rattle noises coming from under the hood. At some points on a cold start when it has not ran for a couple of days I hear a distinct "card in spokes sound" only when I am inside of the car.

I have chalked most of these up to "normal S2k sounds", except for the ball card in spokes sound and I am just waiting until it is consitent enough to take it to the dealer to listen and replace the TCT under warranty. I would have like a couple of other owners to take a listen though.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:36 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

interesting
Old 04-17-2010, 03:59 PM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

Your case is very rare. Was the valve tight in the guide?

Quick Reply: Valves replaced, still throwing CEL's