S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Valve stem seals? Piston rings? Both?

Old 08-30-2011, 10:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Thumbs up Valve stem seals? Piston rings? Both?

I have been having a bunch of smoke coming out my exhaust recently. Blue oil smoke.

At first it would only happen WOT. I am boosted at 12 psi and have 150k miles on my car and engine.

Once in a while before I would get some smoke at startup. Recently it seems like it smokes a lot when ever I am idling or slowly driving.
Could this also be from piston rings? Or would that only be WOT smoking issue I am having?

I just want to try and make sure exactly where the oil is coming from before replacing/fixing the engine.

I have done a compression and leak down test and both came back good. That won't always show the issue unfortunately though.

At one point when the intake manifold was off the car I could see a little oil dripping down the valve in the cylinder closest to the cabin.

Could leaking valve stem seals also cause the WOT smoking? Seems to smoke some when regular driving around as well unless it is just burning off what dripped down when idling.

What is the most likely culprit here? Being that I have 150K on my engine if it is rings would replace whole engine most likely, but if it sounds like just the valve stem seals and not also the rings maybe I could replace just those for now and be fine.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:03 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

dont quote me but i think the blue is usually valve seals and black is rings but I am sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in
Old 08-30-2011, 11:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Blue means oil. Both rings and valve stem seals would create blue oil smoke.

black is fuel. White is water/coolant.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:28 AM

the coolant would be steam though and would dissepate pretty quik. It also typically has a sweet smell
Old 08-30-2011, 11:35 AM
Former Sponsor

Yeah I know that. I know it is burning oil. Just trying to figure out if it is both valve stem seals AND piston rings or what.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:49 AM

Old 05-29-2012, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no smoke or sweet smell but ap1 is using oil on regular driving use. lots of powdered soot comes out in mornings which is just burning oil. any ideas?
Old 05-29-2012, 01:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by S2k24
no smoke or sweet smell but ap1 is using oil on regular driving use. lots of powdered soot comes out in mornings which is just burning oil. any ideas?
Nothing to worry about. All AP1's use oil. Black soot is carbon build up from running rich usually. But maybe start your own thread, this is for helping out Moddiction.

And Moddiction, I am not 100% but its most likely just your valve stems however, at that milage, it could be both. You mentioned sometimes smoke at start up which is usually 100% valve stems (hence where that smoke color was nicknamed Chevy Blue lol) When was your latest compression test? I wonder if that would help diagnose warn rings. This is kind of a toss up, oil burning while you are driving is usually rings. So yea, I just answerwed what you have already said...sorry, 10 hours and counting at work.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey
did you figure out what's causing the smoke at WOT ? i'm running almost to the same problem except i dont see smoke at idle ( just start up and WOT). i want to make sure it's not the turbo leaking before i send it for rebuild and then still have smoke at WOT.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:55 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

What was the cause of this, btw? Oil in intake manifold sounds like PCV/blowby related?

Quick Reply: Valve stem seals? Piston rings? Both?