S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

valve stem seals or bad oil rings? or ?

Old 06-16-2010, 07:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default valve stem seals or bad oil rings? or ?

i am burning oil during deceleration but it is not all the time, happens like maybe once every week or so , its weird. Anyhow i did a compression test and it is 220 across all 4 cylinders and leakdown was fine as well, each cylinder held the specific pressure for like 1minute with zero drop. This is bugging me, Engine is a 2002 has very low mileage (1000miles) so i am assuming the oil rings are fine but wouldnt the compression test just tell me that the compressioon rings are doing there job and not so much tell me about the oil rings ? How can i narrow this down to either the stem seals or anything else?

valve seals normally show their face when you are decelerating under vacuum or no throttle.

and is this quote^ refering to valve seating or valve stem seals ?
Old 06-16-2010, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you are getting blow by that has nothing to do with oil rings....thats all compression rings not sealing anymore.

and the quote is the classic symptom of valve stem seals. valve seating would yield poor power and a bad compression test.

oil rings are below pistons rings and they do not hold compression (as i understand it and given their design and thickness)

what you describe is classic valve stem seal issues.

note another owner recently had this problem with a really low mileage motor. if yours is like under 10K and doesnt see much drive time then possibly they just need to "seat" themselves. also you have a really early AP1 which may have the bad oil jet bolts and the PCV isue where on hard corners its like a cloud behind you. but like i said. classic valve stem seal symptoms
Old 06-16-2010, 09:43 AM

EDIT:

blow by can be tested by doing a compression test followed by a wet test. but a leakdown will also tell you. if there is a pressure drop air will come out of the TB/Exhaust or the oil cap provided you have that off the valve cover.

oil cap means rings, TB/exhaust means valves. but since you have no loss i would be inclined to say its not a compression/ring issue.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:40 AM

[QUOTE=street_ruler,Jun 16 2010, 09:42 AM] if you are getting blow by that has nothing to do with oil rings....thats all compression rings not sealing anymore.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:35 AM

this is just a case that they either need to sit in some high grade oil for like a week or two or need replaced.

if this were my motor, id drive it like i were breaking it in. owners manual says nothing over 5500 or like 5000 for the first 1500 km. you apperntly never read that

and compression rings would also scrape oil off the cyl walls as the piston moves down. blow by is all about compression rings. plus it would be all over the inside of your manifold as blow by gasses force oil out the PCV valve that vents into your IM and combusts that crap thats forced out. youd see a ton of oil inside your manifold. this sludgy dirty lookin stuff.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:04 PM

[QUOTE=street_ruler,Jun 16 2010, 11:35 AM] this is just a case that they either need to sit in some high grade oil for like a week or two or need replaced.

if this were my motor, id drive it like i were breaking it in.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:12 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

the rings and valve seals would not be worn out on a 1000 mile engine. Check the pcv valve it could be stuck from sitting all those years. Change the oil a couple times on some short intervals with a high mileage 10w30 oil such as Valvoline, Castrol, or Penzoil HM. Go out and give it an Italian tune up - i.e. - drive it damn hard.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:20 PM

[QUOTE=JFUSION,Jun 16 2010, 02:12 PM] the rings and valve seals would not be worn out on a 1000 mile engine.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:27 PM

the actual oil level hasnt even dropped to be noticable, and i have almost 1000miles, just so you get an idea that its not like puffin smoke all the time lol ! also as i said above the oil level is like 1mm OVER the H line. could that be a prob ?
Old 06-16-2010, 05:03 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

valve seal rot ?, I personally don't think that would be the case, although they could shrink over time without use. A good reason to run some high mileage oil for a few runs, high mileage oils are designed to treat worn engine seals, and plump them up. I think this engine is an ideal candidate for those oils. After a couple oil change intervals with a good high mileage oil then switch to the oil of your choice. I think your concerns will disappear after you get some miles on this puppy. Run a good upper cylinder lube in your gasoline for a few tanks, something like Lucas upper cylinder lube (2-3 oz per tank) , it helps to lube upper cylinder and head parts that are in the air/fuel stream, particularly valve seals and valve parts that don't normally get a lot of lubrication.

Quick Reply: valve stem seals or bad oil rings? or ?