S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Valve spring replacement tool

Old 04-21-2010, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve spring replacement tool

Has anyone used this tool on here that can give some insight? It looks like a very easy way to get a job done that is a normal pain in the ass. If you have used it let us know! Thanks.

http://www.euroexportinc.com/product_info....oducts_id=44889
Old 04-21-2010, 07:43 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This tool must of just come on the market. I did my retainer upgrade about three months ago and I called that place and they did not have one for our motor. I used the one from Buddy Club: expensive but it did the job. Good luck and don't forget the valve seals.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:19 AM

too bad they don't provide higher res photos...
Old 04-22-2010, 11:16 AM

they make thesee for B-series heads....watch out they pout one hell of alot of tension on two threaded holes. its not super save but should work.

also if you dont wnat ot use air to hold the valve up, take some thin rope, soemthing that wont fray or get cur off on a cast aluminum rough edge and feed it down the spark plug hole. leave like 10ft (just incase) out of the hole and slowly and MANUALLY rotate the crank until the piston comes up enough that the rope is touching the head and the bottom of the valves. this sill only allow them to drop like an 8th of an inch and rest on the pile of rope in there,
Old 04-22-2010, 11:32 AM

Reading posts from s2ki member marcucci you only have to put each cylinder at TDC and you dont have to worry about the valve falling.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:47 AM

ffs, any of these tools are overkill. be a man and use a valve spring compressor. modify it to your liking and go nuts. i've used my POS $20 autozone compressor on at least 5 engines (including the s2k) and haven't had a single problem.

make sure to ask for the free training wheels and kotex with your purchase....

Old 04-22-2010, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by drewmob,Apr 22 2010, 02:47 PM
ffs, any of these tools are overkill. be a man and use a valve spring compressor. modify it to your liking and go nuts. i've used my POS $20 autozone compressor on at least 5 engines (including the s2k) and haven't had a single problem.
Thats exactly what this is, a valve spring compressor......

Good for you and your $20 Auto Zone tool. I choose to work smarter, not harder. The cheap ones are a pain in the ass to keep everything together and dont give me enough space to get what I need done.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:13 PM

jebus, captain semantics. you know damn-well i mean a traditional compressor tool.

i would consider understanding how to use a $20 tool that is available everywhere and will work on any motor to be working smarter. i also think it is harder to set the tool up for each set of valves.

by all means, buy whatever will make your life easiest. bottom-line is that you won't earn your mechanic's respect by using a tool that will work on 4 specific engines...
Old 04-22-2010, 08:26 PM

I understand how to use the AutoZone tool, I have used it many times before. It is simply a pain in the ass for me on this car due to lack of space. I was able to use this tool today for B and H series, and the simplicity of it was awesome. If the one for F works anything as well as the B one (which I expect it will), then it will be a very smooth and problem-free install.

I am not looking to gain any person's respect, as I am my own mechanic, and certainly dont believe the opposite would be achieved by using a specialty tool. Specialty tools are made and used all the time in not only the automotive industry, but many others as well. There is no standardized set of tools for every vehicle out there, and just because one tool may work for a job, it is the decision of the person using the tool to decide what is easier for him.

If you think your tool is a better way to do it, then I have no reason to say otherwise, but that is simply an opinion, and you are free to have yours. Once this tool comes in and I use it, I will have experience using the Autozone tool, a modified version of the Autozone tool, and this one, all on the same type of engine. I can then make my decision on which is easiest and best to use, in my opinion.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by drewmob,Apr 22 2010, 12:13 PM
by all means, buy whatever will make your life easiest. bottom-line is that you won't earn your mechanic's respect by using a tool that will work on 4 specific engines...

This IS an s2k site.
and it works with K series without being modified for an additional 40 dollars.

To most people on this site they require the correct tool specifically for the job they want to on thier S2000.

Quick Reply: Valve spring replacement tool