S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Valve job complete. Now the tranny?

Old 11-11-2010, 03:40 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kAtTracks,Nov 10 2010, 09:21 PM
Wow, That is crazy! Wonder how long its been out of spec

Def go with ap2 retainers and keepers.
That is the plan Matt. Ordering those this morning. Head should arrive at the machine shop today.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:16 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Engine arrived at the machine shop. Exhaust valves on cylinders 1 and 2 are burnt. Replacing all the valves, going to AP2 retainers and keepers.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:25 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good stuff. Atleast the head will be good for along time.

Luckily you didnt drop a valve!!!!
Old 11-12-2010, 02:39 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by s2kAtTracks,Nov 11 2010, 09:25 PM
Good stuff. Atleast the head will be good for along time.

Luckily you didnt drop a valve!!!!
I know!!

What does it take to clean the fuel injectors? I am going to want to do that while I am at it.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:47 AM
Member (Premium)

Honestly, Im not sure. I know Id be careful with what I used. Wouldn't want to hurt any seals that may be on the insides.

Order new seals for the outside(4) for sure as you need to replace those anyways. Oil them just like you would an oil filter gasket(learned the hard way on that one)
Old 11-12-2010, 02:27 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Originally Posted by FearlessFife,Nov 12 2010, 07:39 AM
I know!!

What does it take to clean the fuel injectors? I am going to want to do that while I am at it.
I removed my injectors and sent them out for cleaning at an injector servicing shop, they flow test and clean so you know what is going on. I just did it to have peace of mind but there was one injector that was sticking and flowed less than the others. After cleaning they all flowed equally.

BTW, this is very odd to have bent valves and burnt valves without you knowing about any event that could have led to the damage. Did you buy the car recently from a previous owner ?, what is the history of this car ? it sounds like the symptoms of an over-rev and a badly tuned boosted setup. Might have been a really bad valve adjustment as well. It is just very strange that you are driving the car perfectly fine one day and the next day you have bent valves and burnt valves. I'm not so sure I trust the diagnosis. I hope the repairs work out for you.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:02 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by JFUSION,Nov 12 2010, 05:27 PM
I removed my injectors and sent them out for cleaning at an injector servicing shop, they flow test and clean so you know what is going on. I just did it to have peace of mind but there was one injector that was sticking and flowed less than the others. After cleaning they all flowed equally.

BTW, this is very odd to have bent valves and burnt valves without you knowing about any event that could have led to the damage. Did you buy the car recently from a previous owner ?, what is the history of this car ? it sounds like the symptoms of an over-rev and a badly tuned boosted setup. Might have been a really bad valve adjustment as well. It is just very strange that you are driving the car perfectly fine one day and the next day you have bent valves and burnt valves. I'm not so sure I trust the diagnosis. I hope the repairs work out for you.
I have owned the car for over five years now.

I have a replacement motor that I have put 30K on, got it used with 23K already on the clock.

NO valves were bent, the machine shop discovered that the exhaust valves in cylinders one and two were all burned.

It sounds like the engine is running lean...so any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:21 PM
Member (Premium)

I would have the injectors flow tested.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:35 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FearlessFife,Nov 12 2010, 06:39 AM
I know!!

Send them off to be cleaned.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:35 AM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Get the injectors cleaned and flow tested or just get new injectors.

Poorly adjusted valves can lead to burned valves, if the clearances are too tight the valves don't have enough seat time to cool properly.

Quick Reply: Valve job complete. Now the tranny?