S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Valve Job

Old 07-08-2015, 03:51 AM

Received 419 Likes on 240 Posts

Need to find out if the leak is coming out the crankcase or intake/exhaust first.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:47 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Injectors and coil packs need to be addressed. If you know what cyclonder the misfire is on try switching cool packs to see if that helps. My brothers car with a 150k on it was showing cylinder misfire. After spark plugs, and getting injectors cleaned everything went well.

Injectors on our cars get dirty. I had my injectors cleaned at 100k and man the car is much faster. Tested it against my brothers car.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You all are awsome! Glad I found this site. Thanks for all the reply's. Have any of you had a valve job done and what can I expect to pay for that? The car is running fine and haven't had a chance to check the code it is throwing again since I had it to the dealer. I am in Camp Verde, AZ. I had The dealer in Prescott, AZ change the plugs at 140,000 even though it was running fine. When my wife brought it home and told me how much it cost because they had also set the valves I was dismayed because I wasn't aware that dual overhead cam engines had adjustable valves.It wasn't showing any codes at that time and about 25,000 miles later was when the misfire codes showed up. The dealer in Flagstaff that I took it to this time told me that the problem was my fault since the valves should be adjusted at 90,000 miles so I should get a new engine. I looked at the owner's manual and found that it said to adjust the valves at 105,000 if they made any noise. Anyway thanks for the suggestions. I will try to check the compression myself but still would like to know how much I should expect to pay to have the head reconditioned. Jack
Old 07-12-2015, 10:36 AM

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Most dual overhead cam car engines dont have adjustable valves. But its not uncommon with motorcycles. Our engines rev so high, its difficult for hydraulic (non adjustable) lifters to keep up. Hence the adjustable valves.

I doubt the both the dealers integrity, and their competence. I suspect thefe is a far greater chance they lied about the compression, or just did the test wrong, than the chance your engine is really toast. I would do the test myself, or bring it to an independent shop and have it done as a second opinion. Dont tell the second shop anything about what the dealer said, and see if they come up with the same conclusion.
Old 07-12-2015, 11:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have some great resources in AZ - try local forum for assistance...
Old 07-12-2015, 12:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1flyeyedoc
You all are awsome! Glad I found this site. Thanks for all the reply's. Have any of you had a valve job done and what can I expect to pay for that? The car is running fine and haven't had a chance to check the code it is throwing again since I had it to the dealer. I am in Camp Verde, AZ. I had The dealer in Prescott, AZ change the plugs at 140,000 even though it was running fine. When my wife brought it home and told me how much it cost because they had also set the valves I was dismayed because I wasn't aware that dual overhead cam engines had adjustable valves.It wasn't showing any codes at that time and about 25,000 miles later was when the misfire codes showed up. The dealer in Flagstaff that I took it to this time told me that the problem was my fault since the valves should be adjusted at 90,000 miles so I should get a new engine. I looked at the owner's manual and found that it said to adjust the valves at 105,000 if they made any noise. Anyway thanks for the suggestions. I will try to check the compression myself but still would like to know how much I should expect to pay to have the head reconditioned. Jack
I don't know how much to have the head reconditioned. But im currently having misfires on cylinder 1 in my car. When the service dept at the Honda dealer said it could be bent valves and that I would be responsible if that were the case, I asked how much and he said about $2,000. Now, I don't know if its different since mine is only 1 cylinder, but I just figured I would inform you of what I was told
Old 07-12-2015, 12:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by S2000_916
Injectors and coil packs need to be addressed. If you know what cyclonder the misfire is on try switching cool packs to see if that helps. My brothers car with a 150k on it was showing cylinder misfire. After spark plugs, and getting injectors cleaned everything went well.

Injectors on our cars get dirty. I had my injectors cleaned at 100k and man the car is much faster. Tested it against my brothers car.
injectors and coil packs could cause a misfire, but can they cause low compression? Im still learning when it comes to engines and how they run, so I figured id ask
Old 07-16-2015, 08:54 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by EkaL86
Originally Posted by S2000_916' timestamp='1436561225' post='23676810

injectors and coil packs could cause a misfire, but can they cause low compression? Im still learning when it comes to engines and how they run, so I figured id ask
that was my brother posting.. my car had miss fire all cylinders, but it ran and felt fine for the most part. i did the valve adjustment myself. some of the valves were so tight i couldnt even get any feeler gauge under them. get you valves adjusted, change spark plugs and see what codes come up. then play with coil packs and injectors.