S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

valve dropped

Old 01-02-2008, 04:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default valve dropped

My car has recently started misfiring bad so I pulled the valve cover to inspect the retainer/clips. Come to find out one was really bad I couldn't even see it and the rest were starting to go. I really need to fix this car I want to order the parts ASAP and change them, what parts do I need? I looked at Majestic Honda's part site and I'm not sure what to get...can someone help me?

heres the link to 2005 valve parts

Majestic Honda Parts - Valve-Rocker ARM

Also any DIY's for this job? What do I need just a valve spring compressor?

TIA
Old 01-02-2008, 07:50 AM
Former Moderator

Did you over rev it?
Old 01-02-2008, 08:05 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

You really need an air compressor and fitting for the spark plug hole too.

You use the air to hold the valve up whilst you're replacing the retainer and cotter.

Drop that valve and you'll have to pull the head.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why don't you take it apart, inspect the parts, and order what you need rather than asking people who cannot see the engine to tell you what is damaged in your engine?
Old 01-02-2008, 08:16 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I can't see you link but you need the retainers (16 in all, 8 intake and 8 exhaust) and the cotters (32 but get some spare).

Most spring compressors require you to have the head off. Others just squeeze the spring itself. And then there are these great little push things that work a treat if you can find one in the right size.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=470839
Old 01-02-2008, 10:40 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Doesn't sound like a job for a noob....
Old 01-03-2008, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by thatsahonda,Jan 2 2008, 05:15 AM
My car has recently started misfiring bad so I pulled the valve cover to inspect the retainer/clips. Come to find out one was really bad I couldn't even see it and the rest were starting to go. I really need to fix this car I want to order the parts ASAP and change them, what parts do I need? I looked at Majestic Honda's part site and I'm not sure what to get...can someone help me?

TIA
Hi thatsahonda,

The title was a bit misleading at first. But. I think I understand what is going on. If your valve retainers are damaged something serious must have happened to the motor prior. Like a severe over rev. Perhaps the car was accidentally shifted into lower gear at high rpm? Whatever the case. I would highly suggest going to an experienced shop and getting a leak down test and have them perform the work for you. I would suggest lifting the head to see if any damage to the top of the piston occured. My guess is the valve and piston made contact and you may possibly have bent valves. The cam timing on the s2k is very tricky and can easily lead to catastrophic failure if not done correctly. I would suspect some valve guides might have gotten damaged due to over extending the valve lift that would cause such damage to the valve train. Without seeing the car for myself I would have no way to determine if any of this is true. But just food for thought. I am not tying to scare you. If you were near socal We could assist you better. Either way, keep us updated. Hope it's not that bad.

All the Best,
Max-
Old 01-03-2008, 01:01 PM

I just need to replace the disks/clips on the top of the valve springs because the current ones are starting to let go from over rev. One has dropped down so much its causes the car to misfire so I want to change all them to ap2 spec.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by RedY2KS2k,Jan 2 2008, 09:13 PM
Why don't you take it apart, inspect the parts, and order what you need rather than asking people who cannot see the engine to tell you what is damaged in your engine?
I'm trying to do this without pulling the head. No serioud damage has been done.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by thatsahonda,Jan 2 2008, 08:15 AM

TIA
One answer Billman250

Quick Reply: valve dropped