S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Valve cover

Old 02-19-2010, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Suprisingly as many times as I have looked under the hood of my friends MY07 i never paid attention to the VC and the sensor. I'll have to check it next time.

MY06+ VC's do look more cool since it doesn't have the sensor sticking out like previous years

Do you have all the parts listed? I say install the new tdc sensor on your car to see if the bolt pattern is at least the same.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:04 PM

For many years owning and driving Alfas with DOHC engines and always referring to the cam cover as a cam cover, I cannot understand why S2000 owners continue to call the cam cover a valve cover on the car's DOHC engine. OHV engines have valve covers because they have overhead valves. DOHC engines do not have overhead valves, they have overhead cams and the cover, therefore, should be called a cam cover.

Anyone got any answers on this one?
Old 02-19-2010, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by retvet,Feb 19 2010, 10:04 PM
For many years owning and driving Alfas with DOHC engines and always referring to the cam cover as a cam cover, I cannot understand why S2000 owners continue to call the cam cover a valve cover on the car's DOHC engine. OHV engines have valve covers because they have overhead valves. DOHC engines do not have overhead valves, they have overhead cams and the cover, therefore, should be called a cam cover.

Anyone got any answers on this one?
simple nomentclature. Why do people say headers instead of exhaust manifold? Why say headers when the F2x has only one bank?

Most people do not speak "proper" english so to say

hood = bonnet

trunk = boot

maybe we should call the cam cover a "cylinder head cover" since it does actually cover the cyllinder head.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:44 PM

The point is on an OHV engine, the valve cover is called a valve cover. Every car I have owned with overhead cams all with similar cars have referred to the cam cover correctly as a cam cover. If I was around a group of muscle car, OHV V8s owners and referred to their chrome valve covers as cam covers, they'd sure correct me in a magic moment.

Headers and exhaust manifolds are synonymous--mean, essentially the same thing. Hood and bonnet; trunk and boot are geographical differences in the use of terms--us and the Brits. Both mean the same thing.

My point is that valve cover and cam cover do not mean the same thing--at least to those owners who know what kind of engine they have in their cars. Having owned BMWs, Mercedes, Porches, a Fiat Dino and many Alfas all my collegues seemed to correctly use the right terms for the right things.

I guess it's like the difference between wearing a hat and wearing pants.
Both cover something--just don't get the two mixed up! Your head from your ass.

Finally, I must say when speaking of our economy or two wars in the middle east, this conversation is worth about 0% in value.

But it still grinds me when someone refers to my cam cover as a valve cover.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:17 AM

Point taken. Thing is to gearheads whether it's called a cam cover or valve cover we know what we are talking about.

Don't you think it should be called a cylinder head cover? That would encompass both "valve" and "cam" covers.

OP asked question, I answered it because I knew what OP was referring to.

You come into thread obviously knowing what we are referring to so is there really a problem?

Not trying to start an argument but this board has enough grammar police around. Thank you for the re-enlightment on proper cylinder head cover nomenclature.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Technically, you can see both valves and cams when you pull off the "cylinder head cover". So I for one, do not see an issue with referring to it as a valve cover.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:03 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya so anyways... TY for the help SOHC, looks like Ill have to take my Cam Cover back to honda and get an 06+ version.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Kyushin,Feb 20 2010, 08:03 AM
Ya so anyways... TY for the help SOHC, looks like Ill have to take my Cam Cover back to honda and get an 06+ version.
NP bro. Anytime. At least you ordered the right part but they gave you the wrong one. Once you get the 06+ take a pic since I haven't seen one yet!