S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

valve adjustment performed

Old 08-19-2004, 11:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Apparently Slipstream hasn't had his valves adjusted with TLC either. If you carefully, lovingly, meticulously adjust each and every valve to the exact same clearance, you WILL notice a difference. The idle is so smooth, you can't even feel it running from inside the car.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hyper-X,Aug 19 2004, 12:28 AM
What I noticed was a smoother idle, nothing power related.
Who did your adjustment?

Did he re-torque the crankshaft pully bolt with the harmonic damper pully holding tool and torque wrench?
No he did not...

What were your valve clearances before and after the adjustment?

Without knowing these values, it is not possible to give an answer. IMO, increased smoothness results from setting the valve clearances to a specific value, not just within the specification range. For example, I set all of my intake valves to 0.008" even though the allowable range is 0.008 - 0.010". Also, two of my intake valve were slightly out of specification at 0.011" and they ranged from 0.008 to 0.011" before adjustment.
I don't know the before and after. He said they were out of spec, but not by far. I watched him and all he did was slide the feeler thingy in and out like 10 times on each valve.

Honestly, I think you wasted your money, and probably have more to worry about now than you did before. If he didn't use a torque wrench, then you may have reason to lay awake at night worrying about a nut coming loose one day and grenading your engine.
Honestly, i don't think i did wasted my money. I got to watch and saw how it was performed rather then just reading it off a book. Now i can put what i saw and merge it with my skills and perform it again later; also use the book as reference.

He had this really weird lookin tool.... its like a wrench and a screwdriver in one! I was like damn i didn't have this tool lol.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by gernby,Aug 19 2004, 10:59 AM
I don't think so. The crank will turn twice for each turn of the cams, so at 9K RPMs, the cams are turning at 4.5K RPMs (75 RPS).
My bad, thanks fer the correction. The 4 cycles occur every two crank rotations, not every four. I was thinking one crank rotation was one cycle instead of one cycle being 1/2 of a rotation. Sometimes it is hard to picture in my mind how everything works. I had just woke up when I made my first post.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:58 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gernby,Aug 19 2004, 01:13 PM
Apparently Slipstream hasn't had his valves adjusted with TLC either. If you carefully, lovingly, meticulously adjust each and every valve to the exact same clearance, you WILL notice a difference. The idle is so smooth, you can't even feel it running from inside the car.
Actually, my car's valves were adjusted with expert TLC by the best S2000 mechanic in the state, Larry Clinkenbeard. He's the only person besides myself that I'll let touch my car.
I am more than capable of doing it myself (I've adjusted the valves on all of my Hondas), but I like to pick up techniques from different mechanics and wanted to watch him adjust the valves on my S2000. He uses the same care and attention I do, but at twice to three times the speed. He is extremely picky!
My car has always run very smoothly, so the difference was not at all noticeable. My valves were adjusted at ~12,000 miles.
He stated that every S2000 that he's adjusted the valves on were out of spec - and typically come that way from the factory. He stated that mine was actually not that bad.
Old 08-19-2004, 04:02 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dookiewhat,Aug 19 2004, 02:03 PM
... He had this really weird lookin tool.... its like a wrench and a screwdriver in one! I was like damn i didn't have this tool lol.
This tool is a Honda special tool and generally tells me he's not a hack. It makes adjusting valves a lot easier. It's not needed, but it makes it easier to do the job right the first time.
Old 08-19-2004, 06:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RACER,Aug 19 2004, 04:08 AM
Did he re-torque the crankshaft pully bolt with the harmonic damper pully holding tool and torque wrench? I realize that this bolt is on tight as hell from the factory, but I think it would be standard procedure to check the torque on this bolt.

No offense, but you don't want to guess at skill with this car although I am sure your friend is very competent.
You apparently think that everyone should check the torque of the crank pulley bolt right from the factory because they don't torque them properly. Otherwise, I cannot think of any reason to need to re-check it after turning it *clockwise* to adjust the valves. You'd have to break it loose first so you could re-tighten it to spec. Failure to torque the crank bolt after turning it clockwise certainly isn't reason for me to question someone's competence. That is, unless there's a common problem with the factory failing to tighten them.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by dookiewhat,Aug 19 2004, 10:03 AM
Who did your adjustment?
The best Honda mechanic in the state, and proud to say a good friend of mine.
Old 08-21-2004, 02:35 PM

How can one really tell if the valves are out of adjustment! On my GS-r it was common practice to have them adjusted every 15 to 20k! Is it the same with the S, because I can only hear them when its a really hot day after a long trip or running the car hard.
Old 08-21-2004, 02:37 PM

I ain't touchin mine till I turn at least 40-50k miles.
Old 08-22-2004, 05:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigsalgt,Aug 21 2004, 05:35 PM
How can one really tell if the valves are out of adjustment!
One way is if the valve train is "noisy". However, that is a subjective judgement. Based on the advice and experiences of people in this forum, I checked the valves in my MY 2000 car at 20,000 miles. Two intake valves were slightly out of spec and the rest of the valves were set to varying settings within the specifications range (0.008 - 0.010" intake and 0.010 - 0.012" exhaust). I set them to minimum specifications and the result was a smoother idle and acceleration. I rechecked the valves at 50,000 miles and none was out of specification. Two intake vlaves had increased 0.002" and 3 had increased 0.001". None of the exhaust valves had changed.

What you choose to do is up to you, but I was pleased with the improved smoothness of the engine, and the knowledge that the valves were adjusted better than the factory settings.

Quick Reply: valve adjustment performed