S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Is a valve adjustment nessessary?

Old 11-18-2003, 10:57 AM
J.T

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a valve adjustment nessessary?

I just got back from the local Honda dealership to do a valve adjustment. I talked to the lead mechanic. He asked me how many miles I had on the car (29,500) and if I had them done. I haven't.

He told me I don't need them done. Didn't bother to listen to the engine or anything. He just told me that I wouldn't need one until at least 100k miles and that it's better for the valves to be a little loose than tight.

He said he'd do it but I'd basically be wasting my money. I didn't do it.

Any of this sound right to anybody? I've seen all the posts about people doing their valves at 3k miles then again at 30k, or some that just get them done around 30k miles.

Was I misinformed?

Thanks
JT
Old 11-18-2003, 11:46 AM
Banned

depends, the clearances could change after the breakin period thats why people do them so early.... then it also depends on your driving style, if you vtec a lot, and hit 9k a lot, then you could need one already..... you will know by the sound of the valvetrain, if they get overly noisy then you will need it, but he is right in the sense that it is better if they are a little too loose than a little too tight....
Old 11-18-2003, 12:43 PM

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

The only way to know is to measure the clearances. I've done mine twice, and I don't believe that crap about not needing a valve adjustment until 100,000. You need one if they are out of spec, and that could happen long before 100k. Many on here believe as hondaS2001 stated (myself included), that it is likely you need one once the motor is past it's break in period.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:59 PM
Banned

100k seems very high, especially for a car which practically begs you to rev it up in gears 1-3.... however, youll just have to decide on your own whether they are overly noisy or not, listen in the engine bay with the motor running, and then slightly rev up the motor by hand and you should be able to tell.... however, the only REAL way to tell is like wicky said, to go in and check the clearance,you can check the clearances without actually adjusting them, but if you do the adjustment on your own then make sure you get a helms and you read the write-ups on here and are fully informed etc, because then you could end up doing more damage than good if you do something wrong. Also, it is not uncommon that one or two valves may be a little too tight, in which case you wont get the ticking or tapping noise like you would if they were a little too loose....so the only way to tell would be to check the clearances.... 30k miles seems like an appropriate time to do it, especially since yours wasnt done after the break in period.... do you have any symptoms that would lead you to believe you need a valve adjustment?
Old 11-18-2003, 01:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Adjusting the valves regularly to the minimum spec (not just "within spec") will give you a smooth idle and maximum valve lift and duration. The S2000 comes with larger than necessary clearances from the factory, so that the clearances don't shrink too much during the 1st 100K miles. This is far from optimum.

Even still, if you take it to a dealer, they will probably just take your money, and call it good. If you want your valves adjusted properly, do it yourself.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:43 PM
J.T

Originally posted by hondaS2001
do you have any symptoms that would lead you to believe you need a valve adjustment?

The only symptom I know is the ticking/rattling sound coming from the engine. Under the valvecover. A buddy of mine who has done any and all of the work on my car so far says it sounds like I need one. He's ASE certified and has worked on many Civics, Accords, Integras and Predludes... just never an S2000.

I trust him but he's a little intimidated with my car. He told me to take it to Honda even though I really don't want to.

Should a valve adjustment be the same as other Honda engines?

Thanks
JT
Old 11-18-2003, 01:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

As long as you follow the instructions in the Helm's manual, it is very similar for all Hondas. One thing that is different on some Honda engines is WHERE the valve clearance is measured. On some, the clearance is measured between the cam lobe and rocker, but on the S2000, it is measured between the valve spring retainer and adjuster screw.
Old 11-18-2003, 02:04 PM
Banned

the last part of what gernby said is the most important, where the clearances are measured, some people who have done them before just assume this is how its measured on the s2000 and end up adjusting the valves worse than they were. I believe that if you measure by the lobe and rocker instead of how they should be measured between the retainer and adjuster screw than you will end up having the valves be too loose, so make sure they follow the helms manual to a T. Other than that there isnt anything that should be more intimidating if they have done other honda valve adjustments, the only difference may be the removal/re-installation of the spark plug coil packs since the other ones he worked on probably had a distributor.... like gernby said, the dealer will most likely just take your money and either not do anything, or not do it right, unless you personally know whos doing it at the dealership. If they didnt want to do the job in the first place, then dont let them, if you and your friend do it you can assure for yourself it will come out right, and gain experience.
Old 11-18-2003, 07:04 PM

Received 1,397 Likes on 837 Posts

The dealer will only put them in range. In other words, if any clearance is at max or min, it will be left alone. Unless the particular tech will accept a request for a custom (preffered settings) adjustment. My S has 15k miles, and I plan to do them in the next week. I will post clearances found on each valve, just for the "you don't need it done" guys. If you've got noise, don't wait.
Old 11-18-2003, 07:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gernby have you ever thought of a DYI on the subject?

Quick Reply: Is a valve adjustment nessessary?