S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Valve adjustment and misfires/low compression

Old 08-03-2016, 06:53 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Originally Posted by klapamos
They just said it was leaking mostly from the bottom end of the engine...I forget the technical terminology used.
Leak is prolly from rings ---> compressed air from test, passing into block. You don't necessarily need a whole new bottom end. New rings, honing, maybe valve work --- could be all that is needed. Unless the cylinder walls are damaged beyond repair. Need to inspect them.

Good luck!
Old 08-24-2016, 09:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was thinking of having the engine pulled and head removed to inspect cylinder walls, rings, and Pistons. If the cylinder walls look ok then having the current engine repaired. If the cylinder walls are shot then I would likely opt for a new engine. Either way I'm looking at spending 3-6K. Any good affordable shops a few hundred miles from DC? The shops in the northern VA area are pricey for pulling the engine!
Old 08-24-2016, 12:36 PM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by klapamos
I was thinking of having the engine pulled and head removed to inspect cylinder walls, rings, and Pistons. If the cylinder walls look ok then having the current engine repaired. If the cylinder walls are shot then I would likely opt for a new engine. Either way I'm looking at spending 3-6K. Any good affordable shops a few hundred miles from DC? The shops in the northern VA area are pricey for pulling the engine!
You're on the east coast, Northern VA?

Your best option is to take it to Billman who I believe is in NY? Stop thinking and just do it. He'll make the car better than new. PM him.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:30 PM

Thanks I messaged him
Old 08-25-2016, 10:49 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

Something does not add up.

How many miles between the two valve adjustments?
Old 08-25-2016, 11:02 AM

Maybe 5 weeks...the car also had failed emissions in the past per carfax. I had the cat converter replaced due to internal rattling which I heard can be caused by misfires. Billman250 I would like to have you look at the car if possible. I'm about 5.5 hours away and will actually be in NY for a wedding the weekend of Sept 10th. I sent you a PM with more detail.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250
Something does not add up.

How many miles between the two valve adjustments?
Maybe 500 miles or less
Old 08-26-2016, 08:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wait does the dealership have some type of warranty? Im pretty sure there is some type of law in place for this kind of situation because at a dealership the cars are suppose to go through a mechanical inspection check list that is completed by a certified technician. I would take that car back and bitch them out and either make them pay for the repairs or make them take the car back.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by pezee
Wait does the dealership have some type of warranty? Im pretty sure there is some type of law in place for this kind of situation because at a dealership the cars are suppose to go through a mechanical inspection check list that is completed by a certified technician. I would take that car back and bitch them out and either make them pay for the repairs or make them take the car back.
I've had the car for almost 4 months by now it seems unlikely this would work as it was sold as is.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I work at a dealership and I'm quite certain I have seen this kind of situation before were a customer bought a lemon and they were able to bring it back within months of owning it. Its worth a try.

Quick Reply: Valve adjustment and misfires/low compression