S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Valve Adjustment MADE Worse?

Old 02-19-2011, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve Adjustment MADE Worse?

so my ap1 has 100k miles on it.. and valves had a slight tick.. pretty normal from what i heard from vehicles with 100k miles... I had a shop to readjust the valve.. thinking it would get quieter from what i've heard. So when i got the car back, valves were ticking louder than before. The mechanic, my friend told me that s2000 valves are a bit different from other cars.. where they normall get loose within time.. s2000 gets tighter and tighter.

Upon the adjustment, he said my valves were super tight where the normal spec feeler guage couldnt even fit in. i did notice a responsive difference and vtec difference after the adjustment, a improvement in performance however an annoying tick..

any input
Old 02-19-2011, 12:57 PM

Received 3,765 Likes on 2,656 Posts

that is pretty much right, our valve clearances do get tighter over time. You shouldn't have loud vale tick though mabye a bit louder than before but not overly noticeable or loud. The valve adjustment is only as good as the person doing it though, what clearances did he use on the valves as there is a range. I use .008" intake, and .010" exhaust which is the tighter end of the spec (.008-.011 intake, .010-.011 exhaust). I plan on checking mine every couple years as I do my own adjustments so I don't mind running mine on the tight end of the spec.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i would only go to honda dealership cause in CO
private shops havent serviced many s2000's if any.

but i called the dealership because i had a tick
and the machanic said it would fix the tick,

so maybe the adjusted the wrong way? o.O
Old 02-20-2011, 08:55 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

If you got it done at a dealership they may have done it hot. I had this happen on another car, dealership screwed up the job.

The best way to check the work is to inspect yourself. Cold motor, feeler gauge and a 19mm socket wrench.

I BET your your motor is now loose on all. If it sounds like a diesel it's a bad valve adjustment.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by rob-2,Feb 20 2011, 01:55 PM
If you got it done at a dealership they may have done it hot. I had this happen on another car, dealership screwed up the job.

The best way to check the work is to inspect yourself. Cold motor, feeler gauge and a 19mm socket wrench.

I BET your your motor is now loose on all. If it sounds like a diesel it's a bad valve adjustment.
I do my own adjustments and the engine is stone cold when I do them. If you have a shop do it for you you don't know if they will wait to do the adjustment on a cold engine.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well just personal experience the S's valve lash tense to be more happy on the tighter side.

there's alot of feeling involve when you do the lash adjustment, when I did my first valve lash adjustment i end up having to do it again after a short drive around the block. Mind you i have don't quite alot on sohc F series, B and D series honda motor.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by iam7head,Feb 21 2011, 10:25 PM
well just personal experience the S's valve lash tense to be more happy on the tighter side.

there's alot of feeling involve when you do the lash adjustment, when I did my first valve lash adjustment i end up having to do it again after a short drive around the block. Mind you i have don't quite alot on sohc F series, B and D series honda motor.
yeah me too, I did tons of adjustments on other Honda engines, this engine requires a different sense of feel to get it right. It took me a couple tries to get proper feel, using the feel guage at the proper angle makes a difference if you don't have it at the right angle it will feel tighter than it actually is.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO, If your not competent enough to perform your own service on your S2000, You should not have an S2000. It's very easy to do a search on the forum here and fix ANY problem your S2K might have with good instruction from fellow members.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:14 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2,Feb 20 2011, 01:55 PM

I believe the Honda service manual actually calls for pushing the car into the garage so the engine is stone cold, not even starting it to move it. The chances of a normal shop doing this are slim to none imo.

Get your valves reset.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:16 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by JuicedS2K,Feb 22 2011, 12:07 PM
IMO, If your not competent enough to perform your own service on your S2000, You should not have an S2000. It's very easy to do a search on the forum here and fix ANY problem your S2K might have with good instruction from fellow members.
I think that is extreme, but as an owner, you should know how to watch that the work is done properly at least if you can't/won't do it yourself.

Quick Reply: Valve Adjustment MADE Worse?