S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Valve adjustment-CEL post after trying everything

Old 12-31-2007, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve adjustment-CEL post after trying everything

I am posting this ONLY after spending a full day following all the procedures I found in the technical sections. After everything I still have a CEL that won't go away.

I adjusted the valves conservatively yesterday. I did not overtighten any. I went back and checked all valves after I finished and all were within spec.

When I finished, I started the car and all was well. Later when I went to drive the car, the check engine light came on. This morning I checked the code using the blinking method. I got 6 slow blinks.

I checked all vacuum lines following the correct routing and noticed two had become disconnected - including the one for the air solenoid. I reconnected the hoses and reset the ECU by removing the 7.5 amp backup fuse per instructions posted here.

I started the car and once again the check engine light came on...code 6 blinks when I tested it. I went over all the vacuum lines again very carefully and all are fine, none are damaged and all are connected. The solenoid is connected electrically as well. Just for giggles I tightened the fuel filler cap.

I reset the ECU and started the car. Immediately the check engine light came on again and I got the same 6 slow blinks when I checked.

I am drawing a blank. The car is running great and idling normally. I know that six slow blinks means the air pump so it should not affect the driveability of the car, but I do want the car to run properly.

The car is a 2002 completely stock except for the coolant bypass to throttle body and intake manifold.

I cannot believe the light is a coincidence. I must have done something to trigger the problem when I adjusted the valves. Could I have damaged the wire that goes to the solenoid.

Please help....Thank you so very much,
Marc
Old 12-31-2007, 11:44 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you cross the vacuum hoses?
Old 12-31-2007, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I might have crossed hoses too, but I rechecked and they are all ok...however, I did find a tiny nick in one hose. I replaced hose. When I started the car, the light came on (even after resetting ECU, but after I drove for 2 minutes or less the light went off and has not come back on.

Problem appears to have been the tiny nick in the hose. I am sure I made the nick somehow while working on the car.

All is well now. Thanks for the reply.

- Marc