S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

valve adjustment

Old 10-24-2001, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default valve adjustment

Where can I get a feeler gauge to check my valves for proper adjustment..I have a feeling they are loose...

Anyone adjusted their valves themselves??
Old 10-24-2001, 10:14 AM

I usually don't say this, but this is one operation you probably don't want to try if you're asking this question. Are you thinking this because you are hearing a noise? Is there some other reason?

If you want to try it, make sure you buy a service manual from Helm. Feeler gauges are available at any auto parts store or Sears.
Old 10-24-2001, 10:15 AM

I am hearing a clicking noise but don't think I have over revved..
Old 10-24-2001, 10:20 AM

Originally posted by johev
I am hearing a clicking noise but don't think I have over revved..
These valves are a little noisy (and I've heard this from others too.) Don't worry though, I think it would be more obvious if you bent one. Everyone who's done it seems to have had a catastrophic failure.
Old 10-24-2001, 10:25 AM

I do have a rough idle though and i hear that if you take off the valve cover, you can tell if they are bent...I may get some gauges and give it a check..I have adjusted lifters..blah, blah, blah before, but not on a v tech engine

I may have bounced off the rev limiter once or twice...don't think so, done the mis shift from 6th to 3rd or was it 4th to 1st anyway...i don't have catastrophic failure...
Old 10-24-2001, 11:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it would be a very rough idle. at a dead stop, you'd get out and notice something TERRIBLY wrong with the idle from the sound of hte exhaust and the shakiness of the exhaust.
Old 10-24-2001, 11:22 AM

I certainly don't have that...just a rough idle when letting off the gas like coming to a red light etc or if I rev it and let it fall back to idle...the rpm's dip down to about 600 sometimes and the engine kinda shakes and sounds like it is going to stall and then the rpms go back up to about 1000
Old 10-24-2001, 02:11 PM

As far as valve train noise... Mine is loud too. Always has been. I read somewhere that the F20C uses roller rockers, but I've never confirmed that.

I can tell you that roller rockers are much noisier than standard rockers. I installed Crane Cams roller rockers on another car of mine and called their tech support because of the increased noise. They swore that the noise is a characteristic of that type of rocker arm. It does sound just like my S2000 valve train.

I'm not a certified mechanic, but I wouldn't think excessive valve lash would be the cause of the RPM's dropping down that low (600 RPM's). And given the high compression of the engine I would expect it to be rough and even sputtering that low. Once it "bounces" back up to 1000 RPM's does the idle even out? If so, I'd be more concerned about a sensor getting flaky.
Old 10-24-2001, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by johev
I certainly don't have that...just a rough idle when letting off the gas like coming to a red light etc or if I rev it and let it fall back to idle...the rpm's dip down to about 600 sometimes and the engine kinda shakes and sounds like it is going to stall and then the rpms go back up to about 1000
That's normal. This engine has a very light flywheel.
Old 10-25-2001, 12:51 PM

The F20C has roller rockers.

Yes, they are noisy.

Ferrea has stronger ones (not to mention valves and springs), mmmmmm 13,000rpm anyone?

Quick Reply: valve adjustment