S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Valve Adjusting

Old 10-16-2005, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve Adjusting

Hi Guys,

This morning when I went to start my s2k the engine seems terribly bogged and will start than stop. I have the cover off and im adjusting the valves. however with the cam gears and timing gear lined up as in the manual, there are two sets of valves that are seemingly on the cam. Should I adjust these while in this state or rotate until it is free and than adjust?
Old 10-16-2005, 10:10 AM

Alright so it was not anything mechanical from what i can tell at this point. However the problem still persists there is NO spark. When i remove a plug and ground it while in the coil pack and turn her over, no spark at all from the plug. Seems to be a electrical issue at this point. If anyone can help with this please let me know. Its either something pretty drastic or its the starter and in either case im alittle freaked.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:16 AM

Could be a bad alternator has drained your battery, making the starting sluggish. Not sure why it would start and then stop though. That sounds more like a fuel delivery or possibly a timing problem. I guess it could also be a bad chip.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:19 AM

We are trying about everything, something is drawing somewhere. Or its the starter, im just not sure how to troubleshoot from here.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by loving_my_S2K,Oct 16 2005, 10:10 AM
However the problem still persists there is NO spark. When i remove a plug and ground it while in the coil pack and turn her over, no spark at all from the plug. Seems to be a electrical issue at this point.
is it just that one plug and coil thats not getting spark? are all 4 not getting spark either?
if it's just that one plug and coil thats not getting spark try switching the coil with another coil that does get spark. if you get park after you switch them then its the coil. if you still dont get spark after switching the coil then the coil is fine at this point. check to see if you have battery voltage going to the coil.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:38 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by loving_my_S2K,Oct 16 2005, 11:25 AM
there are two sets of valves that are seemingly on the cam. Should I adjust these while in this state or rotate until it is free and than adjust?
I don't mean to sound insulting in any way, so please don't take this as such. I'm just covering one of the bases.
I certainly hope that you didn't do the valve adjustment without rotating the crank for each set of valves. They must be closed to do the adjustments and this means each cylinder must be at TDC.
If you adjusted them not at TDC, you may be in for some heartache.

If you have no spark, would you not get a CEL? Something weird is going on here.

You didn't mention if you tried to start it again right after it quit the first time.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:16 PM

yes i did attempt to start it right after and it seemed to slow and weak to turn over. However good call on the adjusting of the valves, i adjusted all of them with the #1 @ TDC. Ill redo that tomorrow before I put the starter back in after getting it checked. If none of that works I have not the slightest.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I will pray for you tonight buddy...
Old 10-16-2005, 10:15 PM

Starter/alternator has nothing to do with your spark plugs getting spark.. promise. Unless your engine isn't turning over @ all, but then it'll still get spark when the ignition is turned on. haha. It's probably a coil, like the other guy said, switch it out, and if it goes away w/ the new coil, that was your problem.
I approved this message, Cause I work @ Advanced Auto Parts.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:36 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE=loving_my_S2K,Oct 16 2005, 09:16 PM] i adjusted all of them with the #1 @ TDC.

Quick Reply: Valve Adjusting