S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

VAFC install with Vortech SC & Black Box?

Old 07-27-2003, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VAFC install with Vortech SC & Black Box?

The questions are do I splice the black box wiring into the corresponding wires on the VAFC wiring harness so that the 2 will work together?

Or do I install the black box wiring into the stock wiring harness as the instructions say and leave the VAFC harness in its current place between the ECU and stock wiring harness?

If this doesn't make sense just tell me.

Thanks in advance!

Jeremy
Old 07-28-2003, 08:36 AM

Hi Jerry,

I've got the same setup and the guy that installed it did it incorrectly and ended up frying the catalyst. Check with Ground Zero Motorsports in Portland, OR. as they fixed my car last week.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:02 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Jeremy, I would suggest that you get the Vortech on without the VAFC first to make sure that it runs fine. Keep the variables to a minimum. Once you know you have a good running installation, then put on the VAFC. At least doing it this way, if something goes wrong, you won't be wondering where to start looking.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:30 AM

So the VAFC + harness will go back the way it is now? The vortech black box wiring doesn't have to be spliced into the harness?
Old 07-28-2003, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by CMiS2K
So the VAFC + harness will go back the way it is now? The vortech black box wiring doesn't have to be spliced into the harness?
(Not sure if you are addressing this to me.)
This, I do not know as I don't use a VAFC on my Vortech. You have to find out if the Vortech wiring splices into the VAFC harness OR if the harness splices into the Vortech. Sorry, can't be of help here.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:45 AM

yes, it was indirectly addressed to you.

if anyone else knows please post what you did to make both work together. It would make sense to leave the harness alone and use the current directions for splicing the black box in to the stock wiring harness.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:16 AM
Former Sponsor

I don't know jack about FI, so this may not help. It seems to me that since the V-AFC just adjusts the MAP voltage small amounts, and the Black Box just clamps it to prevent the ECU from seeing boost, why would it matter where they are in the circuit? The V-AFC could be before or after the Black Box, and they shouldn't really effect each other. Right?
Old 07-28-2003, 11:55 AM

Gernby, Thanks for clarifying, I am not an electronice guru.

I was thinking that the black box just sends a message to the fuel pump to increase fuel and then the FMU created more vaccum for the stock pressure regulator. From my understanding the black box also pulls 1-2 degress of timing.

I didn't think it mattered where the vafc was located in the circuitry. I am leaving it in its current place and making all the settings ZERO once the black box is spliced in.
Old 07-28-2003, 12:00 PM
Former Sponsor

I didn't clarify anything, since I don't have any experience with FI. I was really just throwing that out there as a question.
Old 07-28-2003, 12:05 PM

From memory, there are a number of ppls with this setup.
The VAFC harness was tapped without any problem.

Jeremy, if you could post the Vortech blackbox wiring diagram. I will PM a few expert for you. I will be asking the same question next week anyway

Quick Reply: VAFC install with Vortech SC & Black Box?