S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

VAFC II Problem SOLVED

Old 02-04-2007, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool VAFC II Problem SOLVED

I just got my VAFC II tuned this weekend. My base was 206 hp and 140 tq. He managed to get it up to 213 hp and 144 tq, but when I went in the next day he said there was a problem. When he started my car again the next morning the tune was gone . When I went to pick it up he told me this and said it was due to the VAFC not getting a 12 volt constant going to the VAFC. I'm using a boomslang harness, so it shouldn't be a problem there. I took my car to AutoZone and they said the battery was good, so I don't know what is wrong. I didn't get charged for the tuning so it was basically a free dyno for me. Does anyone else know what could be wrong? Thanks I did have a problem with my battery a few weeks before hand. I left my key in the ignition with the lights and radio on and it ran down the battery a little bit, but I charged it and drove it around until it was fine. Help me. I want my 6 hp back and maybe more next time.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:16 PM

voltmeter...test the harness..if its bad send it back it really shouldnt' be too hard to figure out if its getting a 12v constant or not.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:02 PM
Former Sponsor

I don't know if this is related but...I had my battery run out of juice for me before. I had to push start it to get it going. Then it ran out of battery again cause I let it sit for a week. My VAFC tune was never erased or reset...
Old 02-04-2007, 01:35 PM

which of the wires do I test? do I test it with the car completely off? I'm pretty retarded when it comes to electronics that's why I try to stay away from them. I would need to have someone tell me exactly how to do it.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:37 PM

Might be a problem with the VAFC. When I received my used VAFC it still had the previous owners settings stored. I don't believe the VAFC is supposed to lose its settings when it doesn't have power (if it does it would be a long long time).

Also, once you get tuned, its always a great idea to write down the settings for future reference.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:39 PM

I may just end up taking it to another place and having them do it. I do change the V-TEC points and the warning settings and they never seem to go away. I trust the guys that did it, so I wouldn't think they would have just not tuned it. I'll play around with the settings again tonight and check in the morning to see if they're still there. If they are I'm gonna take it somewhere else and see if they have any luck. Maybe they will right down the settings so I can put them in on my own in case something like this happens again.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:40 PM

The guys at All Aspects that tuned it didn't write down the settings and I wasn't there when they did the work, or I would have written them down myself.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:42 PM
Former Sponsor

What I don't understand is...tunning the system might take less then an hour to tune the car? Why did you need to leave it there?
Old 02-04-2007, 01:57 PM

I dropped it off at night after I got off work and left. I was coming back in the morning anways for a Subaru meet with one of my buddies. I came there in the morning and he told me there was a problem and i almost had an anyeurism because I thought he was going to tell me my engine blew or something. He told me he started it up that morning to move it for all the cars to come in for the meet and notcied that it had zeroed itself out. I'm a little butt-hurt by it, but at least he didn't charge me, I basically got a free dyno.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by deathsled,Feb 4 2007, 02:37 PM
Might be a problem with the VAFC. When I received my used VAFC it still had the previous owners settings stored. I don't believe the VAFC is supposed to lose its settings when it doesn't have power (if it does it would be a long long time).

Also, once you get tuned, its always a great idea to write down the settings for future reference.
First thing i did was writing down all of the setting right after my car got tuned that way i can always play with it a little bit and if it doesn't sound right i just can always go back to the old setting.

I had reset my ecu several times and sometime i even disconnected the battery and my setting was never erase or lost.

Quick Reply: VAFC II Problem SOLVED