S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

v-tec no laughing

Old 05-12-2003, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default v-tec no laughing

some of you may have seen my post about the sell the rx-7 and get a s2000. So I am here still makng up my mind. I am a 10 year rx-7 driver and know very little about piston cars since I have nver owned one, but this car really has caugth my eye. One thing is I have yet to see the car do some real damage at the drag strip. I have been racing my rx-7s for many years and love it but I think its time for something new to play with. I am one of those guys that once you learn so much and or everything about a subject its time to do something else. So if anyone could help my out about v-tec. I know you all want to laugh at me and I have heard of just never really read or even know where to get as much info on this as I can. So all I want to really want to know what are the pros and cons of this little thing called v-tec? If you dont want to let me know on here point me to where I can read on this. I have been going threw all my old sport compact and super street mags but have not really found one artical that has a indepth talk on it. I had a girl freind that kind of threw some of them away like most of them so I had to throw her away lol. Any help please thanks John
Old 05-12-2003, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the s2k was never intended to be a drag racing car. it is well-rounded, has excellent handling and engine power(especially for its size). the clutch and diff. are weak on the s2k, i advise you to not drag race unless you like to damage your drivetrain. the s2k is a perfect track car IMO.

the vtec motor offers reasonable low end torque and excellent high-end hp. DOHC VTEC(performance setup) is the best you can get from honda, it yields more hp than SOHC VTEC(which is mostly for fuel saving). on the f20c1otor in s2k), when you hit ~6000 rpm, the extra set of cam lobes engage and increases lift to help the engine to breath, producing more hp. by only engaging these extra lobes at higher rpms, the motor can offer great gas mileage at lower rpms. trust me, when you engage vtec, its like a whole different car.

EDIT: go to this page, it gives an excellent description of what vtec is.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question229.htm