S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Using an opened bottle of DOT 3 clutch fluid?

Old 02-29-2012, 06:35 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SpitfireS
You can not use brake fluid once the bottle is open.
Therefore you can only use brake fluid out of a closed container.
The BIG question is: how?

Another question you may ask yourself: if I really can't use brake fluid that was stored (*) for a while (**) in an opened (but closed again) container... then what about the fluid in the brake reservoir?
That could be just as old, the brake reservoir is certainly not sealed and it is "stored" in all but perfect conditions (car parked outside in any kind of weather, ect.)

(*) - stored how?
In the original container, cap tightend, kept in a cool & dry place (not the fridge).
One more reason I like ATE as (I think) all of their products are sold in steel containers.
Steel containers are more sealed then plasic, over time.

(**) - a while?
How long is a while?
A year, a month, it all depends.

Most of you are missing the point here. He's not talking about using the fluid for the brakes, he's talking about using it for the clutch - which puts the fluid under a LOT less stress than the brakes. Your clutch fluid goes bad and at worst you'll grind a gear here and there. Your brake fluid fails and you might die. BIG difference here.

Secondly, explain how a bottle of brake fluid closed tightly and stored in its original container is going to be inappropriate for clutch use? I have doubts that it will accumulate ANY contamination over time - moreover enough contamination to make any sort of difference to the clutch.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:51 AM

Received 1,396 Likes on 837 Posts

The disclaimer "use brake fluid from a sealed container" means dont use brake fluid that has sat exposed to the atmosphere for long periods.

If you bought brake fluid brand new 6 months ago, used some, then capped it air tight, you are totallly fine to use it in your brakes or clutch. This would be YOUR sealed container. you know its history.

Brake fluid comes with a sealing disc under the cap. Make sure its in place.

I would never borrow any from an untrusted source, as YOU dont know its history. You can keep and use a bottle for years. Provided you know its history. When in doubt, buy new, keep the sealing disc, and you'll have brake fluid to last you.

Bottom line...use fluid that YOU know has not sat open for a few days.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:55 AM

Received 1,396 Likes on 837 Posts

If opening a bottle of brake fluid rendered it useless, opening your clutch fluid or brake fluid res to service them would make those fluids useless also.

Think about it

You are 100% safe to open and use brake fluid out of any container as many times as you want. Provided it never sat open.

Rule #1: Use it, cap it.
Rule #2: if you dont know its history, buy new, then see rule #1.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:29 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Please explain how you get fluid out of a closed container.
IOW: without opening it.

Oh well... seems like you have to explain everything twice here these days....

I've personally used a mix (yes.. a mix) of some ATE Blue and (IIRC) Shell Advance something something brake fluids.
IN MY BRAKES!
OMG!

The risk I took, its unbelievable, isn't it?
And the brakes worked fine, DD-ing for at least a year or so untill I changed it to fresh ATE SL.6
I'll bet the mix was in a better condition than in cars where the brakes have not been serviced for a while.
As the fluids were stored properly - like Billman mentioned.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:54 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think know about your Shell Advance something something, but it seems like ATE Super Blue doesn't mix with my old brake fluid. When I was bleeding I noticed that the ATE Super Blue would settle on the bottom.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:09 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250
If opening a bottle of brake fluid rendered it useless, opening your clutch fluid or brake fluid res to service them would make those fluids useless also.

Think about it

You are 100% safe to open and use brake fluid out of any container as many times as you want. Provided it never sat open.

Rule #1: Use it, cap it.
Rule #2: if you dont know its history, buy new, then see rule #1.
.. since this seems t obe a regular question for people, it should be stickied LOL. As long as the fluid is capped and stored properly it is not an issue. I use Prestone DOT 4 and fully bleed my brakes every 30 - 36 months and the clutch every 12- 18 months. My car is 11 years old and I have never had an issue with my calipers locking or any issue with un even brake wear. I can actually push my front pistons back into the calipers with my thumbs.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah. Logic says that it should be fine to reused an open container that was properly sealed and stored in a dry room temperature but I have seen several posts stating not to. Just wanted some clarification and sure enough, Billman and the OGs delivered
Old 02-29-2012, 10:01 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dwight
I think know about your Shell Advance something something, but it seems like ATE Super Blue doesn't mix with my old brake fluid. When I was bleeding I noticed that the ATE Super Blue would settle on the bottom.
That's weird.
As far as I know it is written in the DOT spec that all DOT 3, 4 and 5.1 glycol based brake fluids are compatible.
In your case it could be the old & contaminated fluid had a different density (contaminated with water) making it float on top of fresh ATE.
Did you ever shake the glass? Did it then kinda mix and seperate again - like oil on water - as soon as you stop shaking?

When I mixed the 2 unused fluids - in the steel ATE can - it just turned into a light blue fluid.
It never separated or anything.
The dye ATE uses is hard to get rid of, btw.
I can still see a hint of blue in the reservoir today.
Please notice the "dot" in 5.1, as DOT 5 fluid is silicone based and NOT compatible with the other ones and should never be used in any brake / clutch system where a DOT 3, 4 or 5.1 is specified.
Not even after flushing & cleaning (what would be possible in a clutch system) as the seals themselves are also not compatible.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Billman FTW!!
Old 03-01-2012, 02:11 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

No, I didn't shake the bottle.

I was going from yellow to blue, the yellow fluid came out first. So ATE Super Blue dripped slowly into a bottle and traveled through a few inches of yellow brake fluid to settle on the bottom. (The hose was short and ended above the surface of the fluid. I used a pair of locking pliers to weigh the hose down so it would stay in the bottle.) This happened at all four corners. I didn't empty the bottle out after so I can check it again later.

In addition noticing that they didn't mix in the waste bottle, I noticed that they didn't mix in the reservoir. I saw yellow brake fluid floating in the reservoir when it was filled lower than the very top. (When filled to very top, the yellow fluid would hide below the plastic lip because it was displaced by the flowing fluid.)

Forgive the poor image quality. I had to push the exposure two stops.

Quick Reply: Using an opened bottle of DOT 3 clutch fluid?