S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Using oil - new S2000 owner

Old 01-28-2012, 07:40 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My car absolutely drinks Mobil1, using probably 1qt in 700 miles.

Syntec is better, but still not there...probably 1qt in 900-1000 miles.

So far, Penzoil Platinum is streaking toward 1200-1300 miles/qt. FAR better. I will probably try the high-mileage version next.

Some have had luck with changing to an AP2 valve cover and PCV valve, which I may try at some point.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While my consumption seems to be in line with others, it’s still a little unnerving given that my reference point is my wife’s ’97 CR-V; in its 15 years and 170k miles, it’s never needed a drop of oil between changes. It is a very different beast, though.

I did speak to the service manager at my Honda dealer yesterday (getting the supplies for a transmission fluid change), and he confirmed what everyone has said here (he noted this as being a trait of every high compression engine he has had experience with)
Old 01-28-2012, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jdrum1
While my consumption seems to be in line with others, it’s still a little unnerving given that my reference point is my wife’s ’97 CR-V; in its 15 years and 170k miles, it’s never needed a drop of oil between changes. It is a very different beast, though.

I did speak to the service manager at my Honda dealer yesterday (getting the supplies for a transmission fluid change), and he confirmed what everyone has said here (he noted this as being a trait of every high compression engine he has had experience with)
He must not have experience with the f22, most AP2s consume little to no oil due to the various improvements Honda made in the manufacturing process of the engine. My 2005 s2k does not consume any oil between changes.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:44 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NFRAP2
Originally Posted by Jdrum1' timestamp='1327769483' post='21361039

He must not have experience with the f22, most AP2s consume little to no oil due to the various improvements Honda made in the manufacturing process of the engine. My 2005 s2k does not consume any oil between changes.
On my '04 I'm only down 1 X on my AP2 after almost 3,000 miles using conventional oil.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by NFRAP2
Originally Posted by Jdrum1' timestamp='1327769483' post='21361039

Maybe he was exaggerating a bit……but, there aren’t many s2k’s around here and he recently came to the Honda lot from their sister dealership (Cadillac, Kia, and some others), so he may indeed not have much or any experience with an ap2.

While I was there, I had two different groups of salesmen approach me about my s2k. It was clearly a novelty.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:31 PM

It's so sad that there is all this errant speculation about this problem so many years later. The reason the f20c burns oil from day 1 is because of how the factory bored the cylinders to begin with.

When you build a high performance engine you use a tq plate to cause the same type of cylinder deformation you get with the cylinder head bolted on, Honda did not do this with the f20c. When they switched engine facilities to produce the f22 they started doing this.

This picture should give you an idea of whats required and some insight into the extra time and cost to do it this way x 120,000 cars

This is not something out of the ordinary, many manufacturers don't still.

Cosworth has a page on this very issue with stock subaru engines as well.

My link
Old 01-29-2012, 03:16 AM

So thats why! Cheers guys!
Old 01-29-2012, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Duke Togo
...When you build a high performance engine you use a tq plate to cause the same type of cylinder deformation you get with the cylinder head bolted on, Honda did not do this with the f20c. When they switched engine facilities to produce the f22 they started doing this.
Neat. I learn something new every day.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Duke Togo
It's so sad that there is all this errant speculation about this problem so many years later. The reason the f20c burns oil from day 1 is because of how the factory bored the cylinders to begin with.

When you build a high performance engine you use a tq plate to cause the same type of cylinder deformation you get with the cylinder head bolted on, Honda did not do this with the f20c. When they switched engine facilities to produce the f22 they started doing this.

This picture should give you an idea of whats required and some insight into the extra time and cost to do it this way x 120,000 cars

This is not something out of the ordinary, many manufacturers don't still.

Cosworth has a page on this very issue with stock subaru engines as well.

My link
Good to know there is a reason for it.

So as long as you keep an eye on the level, it's not really a problem then, right?
Old 01-29-2012, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jdrum1
Good to know there is a reason for it.

So as long as you keep an eye on the level, it's not really a problem then, right?
Just keep an eye on the oil level and be sure to check both sides of the dipstick.

Quick Reply: Using oil - new S2000 owner