S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Using OEM air filter with KN intake

Old 09-29-2016, 02:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Using OEM air filter with KN intake

Hey all,

I was wondering if using an oem air filter with a KN air intake is a good or bad idea. My oem engine rebuild will be completed next week and I want the engine to last as long as possible. I've heard KN filters don't keep your engine as clean.
Old 09-29-2016, 04:40 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Maybe OEM filter with OEM air filter box is the best way to go? Longevity, wise.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:38 PM

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,086 Posts

I think you are smart to be concerned about the filtering capability of the k&n filter. I think using stock filter with the k&n would work fine, assuming it fits the pipe, which I don't know if it does.

But a question. What is your goal here? If your car already has a k&n, then yeah, see if a stock filter will fit, done. If your car is stock, and you are just after the sound, then modifying stock airbox is an option. Search on this forum for diy.

If you want the sound AND the underhood look of exposed filter, then getting something like k&n and using stock filter sounds like a good plan.
Old 09-30-2016, 05:44 AM

Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts

but if you dont want it to look funny under the hood with a kn pipe and a stock filter, why not just get an aem dryflow, awesome fitlering media with good flow..

make sure you still have the K&N rubber vstack that goes in the end of the pipe and purchase this filter

AEM 21-2057DK

Old 09-30-2016, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
I think you are smart to be concerned about the filtering capability of the k&n filter. I think using stock filter with the k&n would work fine, assuming it fits the pipe, which I don't know if it does.

But a question. What is your goal here? If your car already has a k&n, then yeah, see if a stock filter will fit, done. If your car is stock, and you are just after the sound, then modifying stock airbox is an option. Search on this forum for diy.

If you want the sound AND the underhood look of exposed filter, then getting something like k&n and using stock filter sounds like a good plan.
I want more sound! I'm not concerned with the look. I suppose I could use stock box and get an exhaust instead.
Old 09-30-2016, 03:58 PM

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,086 Posts

Originally Posted by klapamos

I want more sound! I'm not concerned with the look. I suppose I could use stock box and get an exhaust instead.
Mod the stock airbox.

Step 1. Remove airbox lid. Drive. Say WOW out loud. A lot. Drive around like that for a while, and realize maybe thats a little TOO loud. Realize something between that and stock would be perfect. Not to mention this is a recipe for heatsoak.

Step 2. Cut out most of stock airbox internal dividing wall. But leave a good inch or so, to help prevent hydrolock should any water ever make it into airbox.

Step 3. Use a piece of the wall to make a plig to cover the airbox resonator hole. Glue in place with silicone caulk or similar.

Step 4. Remove air guide tubes from underside of lid.

Step 5. Drill a 3" hole in passenger side of airbox. Purchase 3" flex duct hose and bulkhead connector. Duct fresh air from adjacent fender opening into airbox.

Step 6. If this isn't loud enough, add another duct and hole, maybe on the bottom of box, piped in from below radiator.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by dedonderosa
but if you dont want it to look funny under the hood with a kn pipe and a stock filter, why not just get an aem dryflow, awesome fitlering media with good flow..

make sure you still have the K&N rubber vstack that goes in the end of the pipe and purchase this filter

AEM 21-2057DK

Thanks!!! This is even the correct part number!
Old 10-01-2016, 07:40 AM

no problem. yup ive put a few on peoples cars so i knew off the top of my head which part number it was lol
Old 10-01-2016, 07:40 AM

np buddy, yea i knew the part number off the top of my head cause i got 2 of these for friends and put them on for them. lol
Old 10-02-2016, 05:51 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

See this thread for answers to your questions:

Is it possible to use an OEM filter with an FIPK ? UPDATE - Yes it is !

Here is what I ended up with

Quick Reply: Using OEM air filter with KN intake