S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Using conventional oil to do a flush

Old 11-14-2013, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using conventional oil to do a flush

Hey guys is it alright if I use 4 quarts of conventional oil and drive about 5 miles or so? I am just about to do a flush and I bought the cheapest oil I could get to do that.... after the flush im putting in amsoil with an amsoil oil filter.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why didn't you just get 5 quarts? You'll probably be just fine for a few miles but I would not run the car too hard
Old 11-14-2013, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by MBHs2k
Why didn't you just get 5 quarts? You'll probably be just fine for a few miles but I would not run the car too hard
I bought 4 because I have an extra quart of mobil1 synthetic, its alright if I mix them right? 4 quarts of conventional and 1 quart of synthetic. I am only planning on running it about 5 miles and hitting VTEC a couple of times to flush everything out. Reason I am doing this is because I made the mistake of pouring seafoam in with my oil. So now I am trying to flush all of that out.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah you're gonna be fine
Old 11-15-2013, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by MBHs2k

I agree.

But just as in seafoam, there is a lot of information out there on wether or not mixing regular oil with synthetic is safe. It seems that the jury is still out on that one. Maybe an oil guru would care to chime in.

You ran it for a very short time, so I'm sure you're ok, but just as an fyi... I wouldn't do that for prolonged periods. Especially in a high performance motor.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MR.T
Originally Posted by MBHs2k' timestamp='1384476231' post='22877903

I agree.

But just as in seafoam, there is a lot of information out there on wether or not mixing regular oil with synthetic is safe. It seems that the jury is still out on that one. Maybe an oil guru would care to chime in.

You ran it for a very short time, so I'm sure you're ok, but just as an fyi... I wouldn't do that for prolonged periods. Especially in a high performance motor.
Just an FYI, when I took my valve cover off to do my valve adjustment a couple months ago I noticed that the color in the case was a lot more "brown" than what I was seeing from DIY videos online I inquired Billman on why and showed him the below pic, and he said it was from someone using conventional motor oil. Fortunately for me, he said the layer of "tint" everywhere was micro thin and assured me that if I keep up with regular full syn oil changes from now on, that my motor would be completely fine and that the color would go away (if everything else was okay of course!).

I say this for you to interpret what you want from it between conventional and synthetic. I don't know what it truely means... but let me just say... "I" didn't like the look of it haha.

The prev owner gave me the receipt of the last oil change done at Honda and it said full synthetic and it was definitely within the last 3,000 miles of me buying the car so I imagine Honda f^&*ed up and put in conventional just the one time (hopefully). Either way, car has been running like a champ so I'm happy

My motor, the pic I showed Billman:
Old 11-15-2013, 04:52 AM

Curious, why a flush?
Old 11-15-2013, 05:06 AM

He put seafoam in his crankcase and was trying to get it completely out of the oil mixture.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:41 AM

Received 1,655 Likes on 981 Posts

[/quote]
Just an FYI, when I took my valve cover off to do my valve adjustment a couple months ago I noticed that the color in the case was a lot more "brown" than what I was seeing from DIY videos online I inquired Billman on why and showed him the below pic, and he said it was from someone using conventional motor oil. Fortunately for me, he said the layer of "tint" everywhere was micro thin and assured me that if I keep up with regular full syn oil changes from now on, that my motor would be completely fine and that the color would go away (if everything else was okay of course!).

I say this for you to interpret what you want from it between conventional and synthetic. I don't know what it truely means... but let me just say... "I" didn't like the look of it haha.

My motor, the pic I showed Billman:

[/quote]

Thanks for the pic. That answered something for me. I am an original owner of an 04 MDX. Decades ago my mechanic showed me some engines that had sludge from crap oil/no oil changes. Said he found Castrol Oil was what worked best for keeping things clean. Showed me examples. Back in the Dino days. (Penzoil was paraffin based and considered crap after they stopped using low sulphur oil base.) I took his message to heart and that is all I ever did until I got the 09 S. I took a peek inside the MDX at 105K miles and was shocked to see the same color of your S in the pic. Did the oil change when the car said to: about every 6-7K miles.

Went to Mobil1 and accelerated the oil change to every 3K to see if I could clean things up. We shall see. My S is totally silver inside with 42K. Also Mobil1. (Wal Mart $25 for 5 qts and every 3K miles)
Old 11-15-2013, 07:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep...you're fine.FYI...Amsoil makes a detergent flush.

Just add to old oil...run 5 min & change as usual.

\rlr
Carolina
Attached Thumbnails Using conventional oil to do a flush-flsh.jpg  

Quick Reply: Using conventional oil to do a flush